Like working with smart people? Check out Microsoft

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Communications Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Marketing Communications Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Lots of great opportunities to work with smart, passionate people on projects that are cutting-edge within the technology arena.
Rarely is there a shortage of resources, and that's super nice after working in cash-strapped start-ups in prior jobs.

Cons

It is a large company (90,000+) so things sometimes move a bit more slowly and when things do shift, it often means there is some sort of "re-org"... and reshuffling of people and resources.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest and transparent about how people can grow within their professions and get promoted.

reviews filtered by

Great Company, excellent benefits, many opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Fantastic benefits, lots of opportunities to move to new roles, able to assume as much responsible as you're willing to take on. I spent 20 years building and managing my own business and I can't think of another large company, other than Microsoft, where I'd have as much opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial way.

Cons

Heavily matrixed organizational structure which can lead to a lot of bureaucracy and difficulty with making things happen quickly. Low and mid level managers are inexperienced and need development. GM level management has a tendency to spend more time managing up and parallel and not much time managing down.

Advice to Management

Invest more in management development.

2. I'm getting what I give

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

the overall compensation package (salary, bonus, stock) and the healthcare benefits make a compelling package. Given the size of the company, I've had many opportunities to learn new skill sets, increasing my value on the market if/when I ever decide to move on.

Cons

walking into a room with 20 people and not knowing what 19 of them do and how it adds value to the company. Lots of redundancy, and places to camp out if you are mediocre or worse

Advice to Management

demonstrate some velocity for change. takes way too long to get anything done. People at the GM level and above seem to focus more on staying put and watching their stock vest than on the actual future health of the company. Stop paying just lip service to the idea of career development and actually work with employees to systematically map out their development.