There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Like working with smart people? Check out Microsoft

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Communications Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Marketing Communications Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Lots of great opportunities to work with smart, passionate people on projects that are cutting-edge within the technology arena.
Rarely is there a shortage of resources, and that's super nice after working in cash-strapped start-ups in prior jobs.

Cons

It is a large company (90,000+) so things sometimes move a bit more slowly and when things do shift, it often means there is some sort of "re-org"... and reshuffling of people and resources.

Be open and honest and transparent about how people can grow within their professions and get promoted.

reviews filtered by

Company at a crossroad

Current Employee - Director, Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director, Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Awesome benefit. Free medical is hard to beat! Microsoft has one of the most generous benefit called the "Giving Campaign" where you can contribute $12,000 per year and the company will match the amount for donation made to qualifying 501C. I don't know of any company that offers that.

Cons

Extreme bureaucracy and very hierarchal. Also, the company tend to hire type A personalities and that creates case where one who is the loudest wins out.

Bring in more business minded people to be middle managers. Just because you are the best developer and tester does not make a good manager.

2. I'm getting what I give

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

the overall compensation package (salary, bonus, stock) and the healthcare benefits make a compelling package. Given the size of the company, I've had many opportunities to learn new skill sets, increasing my value on the market if/when I ever decide to move on.

Cons

walking into a room with 20 people and not knowing what 19 of them do and how it adds value to the company. Lots of redundancy, and places to camp out if you are mediocre or worse

demonstrate some velocity for change. takes way too long to get anything done. People at the GM level and above seem to focus more on staying put and watching their stock vest than on the actual future health of the company. Stop paying just lip service to the idea of career development and actually work with employees to systematically map out their development.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft