A great place for a college internship.

Former Employee - PM Intern  in  Redmond, WA
Former Employee - PM Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Very friendly and talented folks; my manager was very resourceful and did not just give me a project that was swept under the rug.

Cons

I feel like I could be making a larger contribution if I worked at a smaller company or SV area startup.

Would be good to let incoming interns know ahead of time what they will be working on for the summer.

Other Reviews for Microsoft

Lots of opportunity, very competitve, broken review process.

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Chance to build stuff used by millions of people around the world. Very profitable company. Very little downside in the stock price. One of a very few companies that has opportunities across a wide range "geek cred" projects (e.g., compilers, kernels, VMs, database systems, dev tools, machine learning, games,...).

Pay is very competive, particularly after you've been there 5+ years in a high (sr or principal band), and you have 5 years of stock grants vesting every year.

Cons

Very subjective review system. Lots of process - some necessary, but some is burdensome. Very competive environment - you need to bring your A-game, or you'll get passed by. You have to "manage your career" to get ahead - choose the right teams, right projects, ensure your personal visibility is high & your personal "brand" is positive.

scrap the review system. I'm a high performer, and the review system is completely subjective & unfair, hence I'm looking for a new job.

It is a mixed bag.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft has huge impact on the industry and lots of opportunites in vaious areas.

Cons

all of these are mostly in Microsoft ecosystems and your expertise will be limited to those when you move.

Microsoft has grown too big and Steve knew he is unable to fix the middle management dynfunction, which is the MAJOR problems. There is no clear accountability for most of management.

If there is only one thing BillG screwed up, that is the leadership long term transition-planning. there is no replacement candidate available to Steve and Microsoft is notorious for expelling outsiders up the management chain.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!