Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great!

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Benefits, vacation, work/life balance, good people

Cons

Too big and too many positions doing the same job. Positions that don't have enough work to do, so they create confusion and interfere when their help is not needed.

8654 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great work environment

Current Employee - Program Manager Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Dedicated, passionate and very smart individuals, Microsoft has a culture of perservering in the face of challenges, lot of autonomy, flexible work hours, opportunities to grow and learn new skills, can switch roles and teams within the company pretty easily and get a range of experiences

Cons

Teams across organizations sometimes not aligned on goals, a lot of layers of management

Feels like Microsoft is getting its mojo back

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

I've been at Microsoft a number of years, and worked at 3-4 different places before Microsoft. I can honestly say that the people at Microsoft are the smartest, most wide-ranging in their talents and interests, and most inspiring people I've ever worked with. This place is just full of Type A people who have excelled at school, startups, sports, music, and life in general. It can be a little humbling at times, but it creates a really exceptional mix where you can do your best work and stretch yourself and learn something new every week.
    The company obviously went through a bit of a dry spell, with the difficulties in getting Vista out the door and the mixed response to Vista, and the company's well-documented shortcomings in tablets and mobile devices. But it looks like the company is really turning things around now, with a rock-solid Windows 7 release 2.5 years ago, strong industry buzz around Windows 8, growing enthusiasm for Windows Phone, Xbox and Kinect beating Wii and PlayStation, stock price up 20% over the past 3 months, etc, etc. So one of the best reasons to work at Microsoft right now is that the company definitely feels resurgent -- feels like we are getting a little spring in our step, and breaking through in some key areas that will be critical for future growth.
    Beyond that, there are all the usuals -- great pay, great health care, great amenities, great quality of life in Seattle, company is focused on staying lean and nimble, etc, etc...

Cons

The Seattle location can sometimes make it tough, when so much of the industry and media attention is Valley-centric.
    Every group is so empowered and focused on its goals that it's sometimes hard to get cross-company collaboration on a project.
    The recent changes in the employee review and compensation process make me a little worried that we could be moving toward an every man for himself culture if they don't fine-tune some of the rough edges over the next year or two.
    Apple, Google, Facebook get a lot more buzz than Microsoft -- will be interesting to see if that changes over the next 1-2 years...

Keep the focus on breakthrough products and product quality -- it is working.
    Keep the focus on reducing bureaucracy and process -- it's working, too.
    Take a hard look at the recent changes in employee review and compensation processes -- need more flexibility to reward people who are doing a good job, even if they aren't Top 20%.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft