Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Being a Vendor at MSFT

Former Contractor - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Former Contractor - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

This is a company that realizes that there is more work than there are resources. They reached out giving me a challenge and a very purposeful short term position

Cons

The company has a 100 day break rule for A- vendors.

There are a lot of very capable people that when needed are happy to respond to your call. I advice is to keep a "we want you back" list available to your recruiters...may save you some money from outsourcing and re-interviewing.

9246 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Microsoft is a machine and employees are cogs in the wheel

Former Employee - Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

It's a huge company with so many specializations that you always have to rely on others to get your work done since everyone owns their specific areas and processes. Overall there's great people and huge moster projects. Afterall, it is a HUGE company.

Cons

They promote the idea that employees should take risks and projects and push yourself, but I've seen many times that if you do you're on your own and if you don't "perform" well, you'll be one of the people who are forced out. Once you get a bad review, you're on your way out of the company - even if you have a long history of being top performer.

You need a much better mentor program for those who are willing to really dig in and push themselves and take on more than they would normally. IF you really do encourage people to take risks, they should be paired up with a mentor who really is comitted to helping them.

Passion, vision and values

Current Employee - Group Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the ability to live your values is very important to me. and I can do that here. I love the passion of the people I work with, they are smart, talented and have a strong desire to do a great job.

Cons

the rating system is still confusing. the workload is way too much, and there is a perception here that if you do not 'take it on' you are not as highly valued.. however, from my experience this is the same in other organizations.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft