There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great IT company to work for but watch the red tape at times

Former Employee - Project Manager in Tokyo (Japan)
Former Employee - Project Manager in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Global company provides employees with many different cultural perspectives. High energy level of most employees. Opportunity to transfer to other divisions / geographies. Great benefits if you're in Redmond and pretty good salaries. Strong company culture creates sense of community. Great internal promotion prospects. Excitement that comes with being part of such a high-profile company / industry (epic battle with Google, Linux, etc.).

Cons

At times, there was too much bureaucracy...Also, with low turnover rates, the culture is quite insular. Notice the way many job descriptions are written on their job site - many of the acronyms are only understandable if you've been in Microsoft. The concept of 'changing lives' with software was often overblown.

Advice to Management

Make the company more agile again.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Microsoft a Good place to work if you want stability

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Large profitable company with lots of money in the bank. There are lots of opportunities to move around within different parts of the company, like Windows, Office, Zune, MSN, Enterprise, Public Sector, Consumer, Server and also geographically. The best environment for career and benefits is in Redmond, the simply have the critical mass to support a very comprehensive benefits package that includes subsidized drinks, health center, transportation, food, etc that subsidiaries like Canada can't. In Canada we are reviewing our benefits package finally. We have not changed it in 10 years! Hopefully it will be for the better, but I hear they will still not match RRSP contributions up to the max available. Too bad since there is no other retirment program from them and the stock has not moved in 8 years!

Cons

While Microsoft always tried to avoid being become large and bureacratic that's exactly what we've become. Our fear was always that we would become IBM after the DOJ settlement. Ballmer swore up and down that we would never fall into that trap, but the reality is with our size and the constant scrutiny be governments around the world we have become this generations IBM. Everything we do is scrutinzed by lawyers first, we all have to go through training to understand what we can't and can do for customers and partners, while our smaller nimbler competitors can react much more quickly than us.

Advice to Management

See a customer once in a while and own the todo and feedback

Microsoft: pros and cons, you decide.

Former Employee - Observer-Advisor in Kiev (Ukraine)
    Former Employee - Observer-Advisor in Kiev (Ukraine)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Company really invests into people development and professional growth. MSFT also tries to hire best people, and in majority it works: there are lots of great and bright people around. Also, great that company has developed long-term strategic view and committed to huge investments into R&D, which multiplied by strong internal management system, resulted in consistent over years, growth of its competitiveness level. Another helper is broad partner network and market outreach, which benefits from significant resources available for sales and marketing. So, in short, you can learn and learn a lot. Career growth? Depends heavily on whom you work with. Compared to other companies you can also (if this is part of your values' system) enjoy nice office environment, great compensation and benefits packages, corporate events in nice and expensive locations, at least it used to be the case before crisis, a good indicator of some nice margins company is able to earn on sales of software and services.

Cons

The biggest dissapointment for me was contradiction between de-jure principles stated in Standards of Business Conduct, and de-facto behavior of local management, which in many real-life examples showed lack of human vaues, leadership and responsibility. So, the problem is in the process of selection and hiring of top- and middle-level managers, where company does relatively well in looking into function-specific qualities of candidates but fails to select and hire managers with proper leadership capabilities. Another one downside is extremely poor work-life balance, when urgent and complex tasks come with very short deadlines, causing many people to work till late nights 5-7 days a week. Declarative slogans that company respects employees' WLB, simply does not work. And in many cases you can see when some manager might take an exccessive and not realistic commitment (to get promotion for example or award or visibility to upper level), but then after facing difficulties in getting to the target, showing up blaming everybody around and not having courage to take responsibility and acknolwedge his or her mistake. I saw many talented people leaving MSFT because of the reasons described above, with senior management not making steps to eliminate route cause of the problems. This is pity. The last but not the least (already stated in some feedback here). Internal attitude towards competition must be different. It must respect competitors.

Advice to Management

1. There is something wrong with internal MS Poll. It does not help to find out poor managers. 2. Change how people internally treat and see competition. Start with yourself. 3. Enforce WLB worldwide. 4. Fight for people with right set of human values, not with profile of 'best managers' or A-class (Good to Great). 5. Stop promoting wrong people.