Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Once an innovative workplace, now just another sad enterprise with mediocre managers and no leaders.

Service Engineer (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsMicrosoft has great benefits, average pay scales and good campus amenities. There are good people that work there as individual contributors. There are a number of good telecommuting options.

ConsMicrosoft is no longer focused on innovation. They are focused on Microsoft. The company does not care about the employee. They do not care about the work performed, they care about the perception of the work the employee performs. Microsoft does not work to improve the employee, they work to shield Managers from negative polls and release any employee who they 'can' meaning with a low likelihood of being sued. The company has fostered a destructive and hampering stack ranking review system that does not acknowledge the contributions of a resource, but rather causes conflict and competitive actions amongst team members that should be working together instead of against each other...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop placating to self absorbed ladder climbers who do so at the expense of others. Promote by value of the person, not value of the temporal circumstance. LEAD more, manage less.

Mixed experience

Software Developer (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: There are some truly great people working at Microsoft. Learning from them and working… Cons: (Mis)management. Broken review system. Processes and politics. Not the best for people who are more technical than politicians and don't want to be drawn into… Advice to Senior Management: Advice? They won't listen to any and even if they… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great engineers crushed by management.

Program Manager II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The opportunity to work on technology that is used by… Cons: * Lack of employee empowerment * Lack of transparency into decision making * Model is competitive rather than collaborative -… Advice to Senior Management: Drop stack ranking - it only sets us against each… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!