fabulous company

Current Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

food,culture, challenges simply love em

Cons

politics is aggressive,you gotta be observant

reviews filtered by
  1. Lots of corporate bureaucracy you get paid well to wade through

Former Contractor - Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, great pay, great benefits, like Orca cards, lockers, free soda, even for vendors. Incredible to think your work has global impact.

Cons

Lots of corporate bureaucracy which makes it difficult for people to focus on the mission. Execution mode all the time, little time for strategy.

Great Place for Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Software Developer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, low-stress. Great people, managers are typically good at managing teams. Depending on the manager, you can get good recognition if you go out of the way to contribute more than what is expected (and what is expected is actually very basic).

Cons

If you're looking for something exciting and cutting-edge, Microsoft is probably not the place. Its a big company with a defined heirarchy and it can be hard feel like you're making an innovative contribution - management for the most part is looking for, and expecting, code monkeys.

Advice to Management

You have some great people working for you, but you're under-utilizing them - by a LOT. Give people explicit incentives to innovate and come up with clever feature/product ideas and you'll be surprised with the strong response. My experience is that I have about 3 hours' worth work per 8-hour day, so I have a lot of spare time. Most developers I spoke to have the same workload, and providing an incentive to use that time for innovation would yield results without cutting into existing work.

I also get the sense that if you just stay in your group long enough, you'll get promoted to Senior. I think you can raise the bar for promotions some more. I've seen Seniors who have been with Microsoft for 10 years, taking home probably $150k, who do not have a single patent to their name. In other words, they're being paid $150k a year to write and debug code - something an above-average high school senior could do. There's no reason why they should've ever been promoted past the SDE II stage. Tie promotions to innovation and out-of-the-box thinking and you'll notice a big positive change in the company's performance.

Microsoft's big problem is not that we don't have great people - its just that those great people are not being incentivized to innovate, and that explains why even with all that talent we're constantly 3-4 years behind our competitors.