Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great tech company

Current Employee - Lead Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Lead Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Brilliant and passionate co-workers make Microsoft an inspiring, challenging, and engaging place to work.

Cons

Communication between groups is always a challenge at any large company and it is true at Microsoft as well.

Our review system is geared toward building partners. However we can only support so many people at that level. At some point, we need to find a way to balance building partners with building and maintaining products and services.

8788 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Everyone there is really smart

Former Employee - Visiting Researcher in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Visiting Researcher in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- Everyone you work with is pretty much a top PhD in their field (they could all be professors at top schools if they wanted to)
    - Good pay
    - Flexible hours

Cons

- Not enough gender diversity (although this is true of CS in general...this is in the process of changing though)
    - Nothing else really

Keep up the good work!

The good, the bad the blah

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You manage your own career - you can take a role and make it into something great, just make sure you keep it aligned with the leadership's vision and your org's goals. You will work with incredibly smart people that do amazing things which. Unlike other companies that I have worked for, the exposure to technology, tools and systems to aid you in your work is amazing.

Cons

The review process is based on stack ranking which means we compete on some of the worst things such as visibility - visibility does not mean productivity or contribution. Reorgs take forever and leave you in limbo. Sometimes you can feel a bit lost in the enormity of the company and your division. Staying focused is a skill that is mandatory to manage your productivity against all that noise.

The new review system is worse than the previous. At least we were awarded and assessed for contribution and potential. The what and how turns into a game of favorites. Promotions and compensation are sub par with other competing companies, waiting up to 2 years or more to see a level bump is ridiculous. I like working here - but I like money - show me the money especially with the reduced health options.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft