Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Falling into pieces

Current Employee - Evangelist in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Evangelist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Still has a few smart and honest people
Good offices and benefits
Access to technology
Work and life balance

Cons

Leadership does not accept criticism
Catastrophic product lineup: windows phone, windows 8, office 2013
Technocracy culture upper management
Corrupt ranking/reward system

I really wonder how nobody noticed how LUCKY the officers of Microsoft sell out their stock when it hits a temporary high. That is incredible! And Mr Kevin Turner loves the company so much that he is one of the biggest sellers!!!

8788 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great Place when you join, just be ready for Up or Out. Field is more independent than the Mothership and more tenuous.

Former Employee - Architect in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Architect in Houston, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart People, great total package. Health care was a great benefit, but that is ending this year. If you can last more than 5 years and can get high ratings at least one of those, the handcuffs are really tight (in a great way.) Worth a stint even if you aren't a fan.

Cons

Lots of Politics, if you don't stick in your Manager's Manger's mind by the second year, then be ready to move on. Don't expect a work-life balance, your review often depends on you replying first to an email thread, no matter if it's constructive or just a +1. Visibility is KEY.

Ditch the Stack Rank - Be prepared to have people on your team that are already performing at top speed and don't need to bump levels to do better - let them continue to blow out their current job!

MS has lost way too many excellent employees due to inept manageme

Former Employee - Services in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Services in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of great, smart people and excellent benefits.

Cons

Too many managers/favoritism (friends and family being hired). Unless you kiss up to management and are in your mid 20's in sales org/services without a family don't go for position in this org. I LOVED MSFT for years and was so proud to say I worked there. That was not the situation last 5 years but had family member with health issues and needed benefits.

Listen to your employees. I worked at msft for 20 years and left due to horrible management. Went to hr multiple x for help and was not listened to. Others went to hr too and were blown off. All of us that were long time employees left co. and within month or two all managers that I/we had complained about were fired. Msft unfortunately does not seem to care and is loosing employees like crazy. Environment is 1000% different since billg left day to day. He really cared about his employees. The feeling that your company cares about you is no longer there. Sad, as I loved my job for 12 years or so and stayed last 8 for benefits. I was never offered an exit interview (I chose to leave and was not fired). Although my multiple visits to managment were never listened too, so exit interview likely would not have mattered. I know there are areas that function as they should. It is just too bad I was not in one of those teams last years. Once you get on bad side you and pretty much screwed and stuck in your dept. I could go ON AND ON BUT WON'T. I HOPE SOMEONE LEARNS SOMETHING.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft