Microsoft Rocks

Current Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

You are in control of your destiny. I have built my dream job at Microsoft. There are days that I find myself sitting at my desk and it is getting dark out because I lose track of time. I am challenged and feel like I am making a highly valuable contribution - something I never imageined could happen for one person in a very large company.

Cons

It is a big company. The first 3 months are the hardest, you have to learn a new job and a new working culture, once you get past that it is really easy. It is competitive, you are working with some of the smartest people in the industry and some days that can be hard...in other words you never go to work and rest on your laurels, we are very innovative - I sometimes wonder if I will run out of new ideas, which is silly because I have so many concepts to incubate that I will never run out of things to do or think.

Advice to Management

Seniro Management, that is a tough one, I like what is going on for the most part with the company and direction. I would like two things, research roles to be merit based also not tied so tightly to phds and a program to incubate partnerships across product, service or IT teams - this is a big company and I think we need to promote concepts within better cross collaboratively.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Solid job.

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Resources, Resources, Resources. Best benefits around. Microsoft invests in its employees. Microsoft gets a lot of negative heat for not being a consumer-oriented business. This is true on many levels, and is a category that I believe Steve B. will change (especially through online/digital media). Internally, Microsoft is extremely focused on its employees. The major problem taking place in the digital marketing space is that competition and turnover are both commmanding forces. They take a toll on Microsoft because Microsoft is often unwilling to bump salaries in response to external job offers with higher pay. We lose a lot of top talent because of this. There is obviously a major cost/benefit economic equation to factor into these scenarios, but I think they are looked at too holistically, and should instead be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Cons

Too large at times. Upward/lateral movement can be confusing.

Advice to Management

They need to invest more in keeping top talent around.

An employer with Heart.

Current Employee - Product Tech Lead in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Product Tech Lead in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The "humane"ness of the company makes it a pleasure to work there. These past 6 months, I have had way too many personal issues in my life -- so far, I have been treated with kid gloves. I know that it wont last forever, but I appreciate the time I was given in order to recoop my brains and heart. I will work hard just because they let me take care of myself and my family when I needed. My team stepped in and took over even though their workloads were already maxed out. I couldnt of asked for any more from anyone.

Cons

Soooo much work to do

Advice to Management

Stop with the annual re-organizations -- maybe try re-organizing the work instead.