There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Perfect work-life balance for a tech company

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Summer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Work environment is laid back. Focus is put on your completing your work, and not when (hours of the day) you do it. Great compensation.

Cons

Pretty obvious, but when you have a company this size, bureaucracy becomes an issue.

Advice to Management

Streamline communication from employees to those higher up. Shorter release cycles.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I like my job at Microsoft, and like any company there is room for improvement.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

I like the health club benefit at Pro Club. I can exercise and keep myself healthy. I like that I enjoy my work very much, and the environment makes me want to come into the office. The people are energetic and often go-getters. The education classes, and on the job training allow an employee to develop and make significant contributions to the company and team. The technology in the office is great for productivity. IP connected phones to Office Communicator ,my laptop. and phone makes it easy to communicate in the office. I feel at my job right now, I can accomplish many of my professional goals, and rotate to different areas of the company and different offices around the world.

Cons

Like any large company, there are some inefficiencies.

Advice to Management

There should be accountability when a program or project fails. There should be a review of lessons learned and a dismissal of that PUM or GM. There should be greater value attributed to outside of Microsoft experience.

SteveB has failed to instill a culture suitable to the challenges in this market - GE is the wrong model.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft is still the leader in many of the most important markets even if its influence is declining.

Cons

Downside #1: 5-10% chance of getting fired each year (no I wasn't fired, but it's like an axe over the head of everyone but the so-called top 30%). Downside #2: the company is stumbling to keep up with the pace of Web 2.0.

Advice to Management

I would advise Senior Management to change the corporate culture. This is the #1 thing holding the company back, and the #1 advantage Google holds over them.