Software Engineer

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of brilliant people. every person has a office which is nice. good services around the company including entertainments, facilities, etc.

Cons

not very open, a lot of closed doors in the company. not many social going around. not a lot of collaboration.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. Customer Support Associate

Current Employee - Customer Support Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Microsoft part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good HR management. Good salary and conditions in general. Nice office and nice working environment.

Cons

Distance to get to work can be a problem. Management don't often listen to constructive feedback. Pressurizing at times.

Advice to Management

None really.

2. 20+ years Microsoft Customer Services and Support

Former Employee - Operations Program Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Operations Program Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I always had managers who were fair and really wanted to reward people based on merit (work accomplished and impact made). I always felt fairly rewarded. I got to do some pretty cool work and work with passionate, enthusiastic, principled people. Fantastic benefits. I had a good work life balance and really appreciated that.

Cons

Sometimes it was tough to get management support, coaching and feedback. They were busy... Microsoft would do well to have an internal recruiting program. When looking for other positions internally, HR would only offer, "Use the Career site and your network". I could have used help in finding roles that lined up with my skillset and interests. Sometimes I felt like Microsoft management HR mindset was, "Employees are our most valuable asset!! ...well, perhaps not you, specifically... but employees, in general, are our greatest asset!!!" At times, Microsoft would publicly support or not support particular polarizing social issues that were not directly related to the product or service or customer set. I don't think this behavior is appropriate for any public company.

Advice to Management

Always work to define and communicate roles in terms of who is responsible for what, and then enforce it. This should limit the politics. If team work, collaboration and making others great are truly important, figure out a performance model that doesn't reward going it alone and leaving dead bodies behind. I realize that "The How" in the performance model is supposed to encourage that, but there's a lot of tension between "The How" and 'The What" + "Proven Capability" Figure out how to normalize the performance model so that everyone is rewarded based on merit on a team comprised of top performers or a team comprised of poor performers.