There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Support Engineer

Current Employee - Support Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Microsoft is a large, well-established employer that offers a host of great fringe benefits, such as a gym membership, legal support, life insurance, etc.. Salaries are fairly competetive and if you are a programmer or project manager, there are thousands of opportunities. For most roles, work hours are flexible with regard to start times and the like. There are a lot of training opportunities as well as tuition reimbursement as long as you are working towards a degree.

Cons

The performance management system sets up a somewhat hostile environment or at the very least an undercurrent of distrust and one-upmanship. You are reviewed against peers and other people in your 'level band' within your organization and across the company. There are a lot of politics involved and your score can become very subjective based on the Manager/Directors perception of you, rather than your actual accomplishments.

Be consistent and as transparant as possible.

8174 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great people and products but you will work very hard

Former Employee - Business Administrator  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Business Administrator in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great networking and teamwork plus a fun environment. I learned a ton from my peers and loved the morale events we had.

Cons

The work never ends and you can't effect much change. Plus you are constantly getting a new boss or new VP and that makes it very challenging.

Try not to reorg so much, it's the reason I would never come back.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very good people management and career growth, interesting areas of technology to work in, easy to move between products

Cons

Not always at the cutting edge of what the industry is doing, not always incorporating research on hard problems into their engineering plans

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!