There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great people and products but you will work very hard

Former Employee - Business Administrator  in  Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Business Administrator in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great networking and teamwork plus a fun environment. I learned a ton from my peers and loved the morale events we had.

Cons

The work never ends and you can't effect much change. Plus you are constantly getting a new boss or new VP and that makes it very challenging.

Try not to reorg so much, it's the reason I would never come back.

8056 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Customer Support Associate

Current Employee - Customer Support Executive  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Microsoft part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good HR management. Good salary and conditions in general. Nice office and nice working environment.

Cons

Distance to get to work can be a problem. Management don't often listen to constructive feedback. Pressurizing at times.

None really.

20+ years Microsoft Customer Services and Support

Former Employee - Operations Program Manager  in  Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Operations Program Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I always had managers who were fair and really wanted to reward people based on merit (work accomplished and impact made).
    I always felt fairly rewarded.
    I got to do some pretty cool work and work with passionate, enthusiastic, principled people.
    Fantastic benefits.
    I had a good work life balance and really appreciated that.

Cons

Sometimes it was tough to get management support, coaching and feedback. They were busy...
    Microsoft would do well to have an internal recruiting program. When looking for other positions internally, HR would only offer, "Use the Career site and your network". I could have used help in finding roles that lined up with my skillset and interests.
    Sometimes I felt like Microsoft management HR mindset was, "Employees are our most valuable asset!! ...well, perhaps not you, specifically... but employees, in general, are our greatest asset!!!"
    At times, Microsoft would publicly support or not support particular polarizing social issues that were not directly related to the product or service or customer set. I don't think this behavior is appropriate for any public company.

Always work to define and communicate roles in terms of who is responsible for what, and then enforce it. This should limit the politics.
    If team work, collaboration and making others great are truly important, figure out a performance model that doesn't reward going it alone and leaving dead bodies behind. I realize that "The How" in the performance model is supposed to encourage that, but there's a lot of tension between "The How" and 'The What" + "Proven Capability"
    Figure out how to normalize the performance model so that everyone is rewarded based on merit on a team comprised of top performers or a team comprised of poor performers.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!