Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

The Lost Decade Just Looks to Continue

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Incredibly smart people working here. Amazing innovation at ground floor and at local levels. Good people wanting to do the right thing. I believe Steve B. is on his way out, this will be a huge PRO for the company.

Cons

Layer upon layer of insidious bureaucracy, fifedoms, and in-fighting kills opportunity. The only thing the company does consistently is miss it's window of opportunity. The current review model is meant to remove the bottom 10% every year, do the math on that, after year one, the middle becomes the bottom and thus.

GE abandoned the current review model at MSFT because it was too expensive, killed corporate moral, drove out the best thinkers and top minds to more rewarding and supportive cultures. If you want to host a long-running layoff just say so, because that is what this model is for.

8654 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Stable company , good benefits, avg talent

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

40 hr week, it's ok if you group does not make money because OS and Office products pay will pay for your group.

Cons

Growth is limited for IC.

What it's like to work at Microsoft?

Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diversity in people, some of the smartest people I'd ever worked with, good breadth of technology and opportunity.

Cons

Microsoft is a big machine with a software production line mentality and quality is often de-prioritized. It is so wealthy that money is wasted, especially in IT. Management is given full authority to disregard the health and well being of their direct reports and HR no longer represents the non-manager employees.

People should not be treated as a comodity. When MS was founded, the employee was "the key to success"... now, with the company wealth... the mindset is, we can always buy more... it's sad to see a company I loved working for so much, turn into what IBM once was.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft