Microsoft

Opportunity for Growth

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

A challanging environment with significant opportunity for advancement and recognition. Management generally is very supportive with regard to its personnel practices.

Cons

To focused on products without sufficient leadership regarding the value of those products to their customers. Tends to be somewhat of a cult in terms of the attitude that Microsoft can do no wrong. Need to improve its ability to provide leadership and guidance to its field sales force to enable them to better represent Microsoft to their customers.

Be more open to dissenting opinions. Foster greater understanding of and the ability to communicate the value of your products to your customers.

8771 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Love the generous charitable giving program, dislike the infighting and blackbox approach of how managers are selected

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The ability to make career changes. In smaller companies a person can be pigeon holed into a given role whereas at Microsoft one can move from role to role, often across disciplines if one is able to show good results constantly. A big reason that I am proud to work at Microsoft is also the company’s commitment to supporting good causes, which includes generous 1:1 matching for charitable donations, and Microsoft even pays $17/hour to charities where the employees volunteers time. It makes me happy to know that a good portion of our profits goes to make the world a better place, even though for financial reasons I am not able to work directly in a charitable organization.

Cons

It is hard to figure out how to move from a individual contributor role to a management position. The first jump into management is the hardest and it seems like a good percentage of people make the leap through politics (who you know) vs. merits. Also, the promotion speed in the field is much slower than that of Redmond, which doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.

Encourage more peer to peer collaboration. Perhaps it’s the lack of external competition, perhaps it’s the forced Bell curve review rating system, but there definitely is a lot of infighting / political jostling if you will at Microsoft, especially in Redmond where the focus on promotions is most intense. Senior managements should recognize and value those team members that play well with others instead of the ones that are self serving and step on others to get ahead.

great place to work!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

good pay - great benefit - good work life balance.

culture to share knowledge is excellent.

I worked at MSFT for 6 years and loved it. I would work there again in a heartbeat. Very relaxed environment with focus on getting the job done right rather than management crap.

You are rewarded for your hard work and ability to change culture, products, and customer experience at Microsoft.

Annual cash and stock bonuses provide motivation to work hard.

Ability to tele-commute or work from home is excellent.

Microsoft please get that stock back up in this economic rough spot. Please! Please!

Cons

none - lots of travel in consulting field

keep the stock up!!