Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Good place to work

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary
strong people to work with

Cons

Big company culture so things slow to get done

9244 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great People, Good Pay, Work/Life balance only ok to poor (but they were working on that as I was leaving).

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Colonias, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Colonias, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

#1. Smart co-workers everywhere, and you'll bond soon enough when "con #1" (below) happens.
    #2. They had started working on Flexible work arrangements and it was working well.
    #3. You will be challenged
    #4. Some great HR and pay polices

Cons

#1 Depending on which group you are in, the business cycle is around 3 to 4 years, you will have a very demanding peak period. For Dev it is the "death march" in the last 3 to 6 months (to year) before RTM, for CSS, Premier, and HR it is 3 to 6 months after RTM. - Just learn to ride the wave... whatever cycle your business rides, find it, accept it, and keep your feet underneath you. It will level off in 6 to 9 months.Morale always drops, don't get caught in that wave, it will make your time miserable. Keep your chin up, keep your balance, and you can acctually rise up quickly during the high tide.

#2 Some really bad HR/Pay policies, as a manager I sometimes found this very restrictive in how I could pay for performance. It went from guideline to policy, and took a lot of control a way from the direct managers. Sometime your review rankings would come back down changed from higher level management, and you would have to switch from a "You've been doing great work" to "You need to step it up", simply because higher management tweaked the budget somewhere.

Break out the good stuff! So many great products die before RTM, or sit in R&D untapped. MS had a great video on what life with technology would look like in 2020. I personally think they need to hit that by 2015 or sooner otherwise they will be 5 years behind.

Great work environment on high impact products that touch millions of users around the globe.

Current Employee - Product Planner in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Product Planner in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Results oriented.
    Relaxed work environment.
    Competitive salary.
    Great sense of community.
    Easy job search and role switching within company.

Cons

Based in Redmond.
    At times, hindered by legacy products and services.
    Difficulty creating truly cross-platform products with consistent experience.

I would like to see the upgrade cycle look more like waves than updates. Push changes out quicker to consumers.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft