Fresh Out Of College - Now, Three Years In

Current Employee - Program Manager
Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Microsoft has some great opportunities. You can get your feet wet working on some products that will affect millions of people, there's tons of different things going on, and as a college hire fresh out of the box, I got a lot of training, mentoring and support. I would recommend working in Redmond - I'm at a remote site and, while there are still opportunities there, you don't get the culture and enthusiasm that you do at the mothership.

Cons

The stack ranking system rewards bad behavior. Getting noticed is what drives up your performance review, not doing the work on your desk, and I've seen good people go under because of it. The system just isn't incentivized to reward mentoring and people management. My two best people managers were cast out of the company, despite getting consistently high rankings from their employees and mentoring the shining stars on our team. It's just not valued, and it takes an individual's effort to buck the trend. If you're management doesn't choose to be invested in you, then you're stuck.

Advice to Management

I see a lot of news media talking about the competitive threats to Microsoft, but the biggest threats I see are from within. There isn't enough top-down leadership that directs teams to all move in the same direction. What is termed giving responsibility to the lower levels ultimately results in individual teams doing what will position themselves best, and not what's in the best interests of the company. That's why you see some many conflicting or half-baked products out there. It's because some manager knew that getting his named attached to something new and shiny would do his career better than slogging through bureaucracy and resistance to partner with another team that has different priorities, in order to build a better experience for the customer. The structure of the company is built to produce software that does a lot but misses the mark, and to promote people who know how to work the system instead of create the product.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. great company to work for

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

great salary, bonus, stock, perks

Cons

problem of big companies - management indolence, work life balance

2. Tricky culture to get assimilated to, but still an amazing place to work

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, packed with smart people you can learn from, really strong engineering processes, tons of career opportunities for strong performers

Cons

Extremely competitive culture, "sink or swim" approach for industry hires, some stratification in upper management levels, slow to respond to industry challenges