There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Is V- contracting at Microsoft right for you?

Current Contractor - Technical Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Contractor - Technical Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good W2 hourly rate. End of contract is always in sight.

Cons

They treat their contractors like a red-headed step child. A group that is in trouble will hire a contractor to be the fall guy. Just know up front what you are getting into.

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding for individual achievement and push towards team achievement. Makes for a less hostile environment.

reviews filtered by

Working in Windows

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Office for almost each employee.
    - Working on products seen and used by billions.
    - Large and variable set of automation, synchronization, coding.
    - Large and awesome set of training courses.
    - Excellent name recognition: I do not have to explain where I work or what I do.
    - Windows is the strongest and most technical part of Microsoft.

Cons

- After the design phase, you focus on very narrow stuff which limits your learning.
    - Good visible projects are assigned based on your relation to level-2 managers. If the relation is good, then you get good projects and good reviews. Otherwise, you are screwed.
    - Technical excellence is not the key in survival, but communicating every single item you work on to anybody and everybody plus courting them. Sometimes, it is just too corny.
    - Try to move to Project Manager (fastest promotions) or to developrment (2nd fastest promotions), and avoid test as it will affect your job seeking afterwards.

Advice to Management

I have been exposed to higher management: directors and VPs. Managers try their hard to cover their a---- more than handling the product quality. Anybody that may threaten this, will result in his demise.
    Second, Microsoft is a very powerful company, and we had core issues that led to our success: openness to third party developers and our ecosystem. The trend of secrecy to increase the Wow factor, copied from Apple, is not very good to our company.

Great opportunity, challenging environment.

Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to impact at global scale; compensation and benefits; opportunity to do many different jobs within one company; global opportunity.

Cons

Frequent and disruptive re-organizations; employee calibration system forces a ranking curve so every year 20% of employees receive a low ranking regardless of their contribution.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft