There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Working in Windows

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Office for almost each employee.
- Working on products seen and used by billions.
- Large and variable set of automation, synchronization, coding.
- Large and awesome set of training courses.
- Excellent name recognition: I do not have to explain where I work or what I do.
- Windows is the strongest and most technical part of Microsoft.

Cons

- After the design phase, you focus on very narrow stuff which limits your learning.
- Good visible projects are assigned based on your relation to level-2 managers. If the relation is good, then you get good projects and good reviews. Otherwise, you are screwed.
- Technical excellence is not the key in survival, but communicating every single item you work on to anybody and everybody plus courting them. Sometimes, it is just too corny.
- Try to move to Project Manager (fastest promotions) or to developrment (2nd fastest promotions), and avoid test as it will affect your job seeking afterwards.

I have been exposed to higher management: directors and VPs. Managers try their hard to cover their a---- more than handling the product quality. Anybody that may threaten this, will result in his demise.
Second, Microsoft is a very powerful company, and we had core issues that led to our success: openness to third party developers and our ecosystem. The trend of secrecy to increase the Wow factor, copied from Apple, is not very good to our company.

8429 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

WIndows phone specific

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Microsoft is large and stable. Windows phone is a new product with potential

Cons

Windows phone is very political and certain groups within windows phone more so. Lots of emails and noise. too much rat race stuff like send more emails and ppts to be visible. Not much flexibility in certain groups. Do what your boss tells ya or suffer the consequences. Stack ranking review system causes people to sometimes worry about themselves and also causes good employees to fall in low ratings. You cannot move groups within microsoft if you have a low rating so if for some reason your manager doesnt like you and gave you a bad rating, you are stuck with him or you quit the company.

Senior Program Manager

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Innovation, risk taking, internal job opportunities

Cons

High risk of anything you do

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft