Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of roles - but it also means to get a very rounded experience you would have to do different roles - but you can do them across different teams - so life stays interesting

Cons

if Promos and pay are you thing - this is not a fast paced young company - so temper expectations

9020 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Review stack rank undermines culture.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, smart peers, great pay and benefits. Great for career in the industry.

Cons

The review system is a stack rank. This means that good employees must be put into the bottom rung... someone's got to be in the bottom rung. I always did well come review time, but just the fact that it is run this way really undermines the collaboration and creativity that could exist at Microsoft. A very small number of folks are self serving jerks that will step on folks to work this system. Everybody else is just unsure of who to trust and fearful of making mistakes that will be held against them. People play it safe or work crazy hours to offset the failure associated with prototyping.
    Every talk I have with every manager I've ever had there is all about how I can 'get visibilty'. It's not about how I can do a better job, or learn something new.

Get rid of the stack rank!
    Embrace a bit of failure as the price for innovation.

It's a big company, with all the pluses and minuses

Current Employee - Senior Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love the people I work with -- team, customers and Microsoft partners
    The quality of the work is interesting and intellectually rich
    Benefits have been outstanding, this year a big change in the medical benefits but still probably in top 10%
    Despite the awful stack ranking HR system which encourages backstabbing, there's actually a lot of good teamwork and camaraderie at the work group level

Cons

Internal politics truly Machiavellian
    It's a better place for either junior people starting their career or for the so-called "partner" level people (L68 and over) For those of us crowded at the upper director, senior director roles, it's pretty ugly and there's a lot of people leaving or planning to at that level. Very few career opportunities to advance for people with experience.
    Uninspired executives
    Totally Redmond-centric, not really a global company

Our HR system is at total odds with the culture you say you want to create. We all know it. Do something.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft