Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great experience

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Reno, NV
Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits; open communication between levels; felt like my work and opinions were respected even by upper management in my group. In addition, my last manager there was excellent.

Cons

There was not much opportunity for advancement within my group for me (I was interested in pursuing software development rather than management) and it was hard to break into other groups, even though I had received consistently high performance reviews. Although I felt qualified, I was unable to land any positions that interested me in the Seattle area and ended up leaving the company so that I could continue to grow.

I was happy with the managers that I dealth with.

8768 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great opportunity for a college graduate

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks.
    Flexible schedule / Ability to work remotely, even from a different country.
    Very good compensation,
    Good work/life balance.
    World impacting work.
    Ability to get to know very smart or important people in the tech industry.

Cons

Cross-team collaboration is difficult.
    Just like any other large organization, there is too much unnecessary process, but it depends on the team.
    Necessity to look after yourself almost too aggressively to achieve promotions.

Wonderful opportunity, sometimes the company gets in their own way

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move around, great benefits, making something big happen in the world. Smart people, a cultural wonder. A well-intentioned company and unfortunately, often misunderstood and even wrongfully demonized by the public/media. The company is MUCH BETTER than the 'haters' are eager to point out.

Cons

Organizationally, Microsoft is top heavy- few do the legwork which is largely done by vendors --contrast this to Amazon where each employee does their outward-facing work (Amazon is, however burning out their employees so there is a balance somewhere).

Microsoft has long had too much consensus-based decision-making which slows the company down.

Work on getting MS people to balance vision with EXECUTION. Today, there are many visionaries but need more of their fingerprint in the work that is actually delivered out to the world.
    I would say 90% of most MS employees' time is spent in internal meetings or trying to build their internal brand. Instead, 80% of their time should be spent developing something that the world can consume, not decks to impress execs. (less MYR, more GTM).
    Also need more right-hand/left-hand orchestration so that groups can discover what one another is doing. e.g. the Insight 360 could be used not only as a personality tool, but as a goal-sharing tool that everyone shared openly to articulate what they need from one another. There is a template for that ready to execute in the program. WWSM memos were great but they break down at the GM level and lower.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft