Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft knows how to take care of their software developers

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Developers have their own offices. Because Microsoft has a longer release cycle than many software companies, the stereotypical "have to work overtime because the project is due" doesn't really apply. Very laid-back environment. As long as you get your work done and don't miss meetings, no one really minds when you work.

Cons

As with any company with thousands of employees, sometimes you can feel like a grain of sand on the beach. As a developer, you don't have a say in the big picture of the company. If that's important to you, don't work here; find a start-up.

Microsoft Response

Nov 16, 2012Marketing Manager

Thank you for the candid review, great comments and insight.

8654 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great opportunity for a college graduate

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks.
    Flexible schedule / Ability to work remotely, even from a different country.
    Very good compensation,
    Good work/life balance.
    World impacting work.
    Ability to get to know very smart or important people in the tech industry.

Cons

Cross-team collaboration is difficult.
    Just like any other large organization, there is too much unnecessary process, but it depends on the team.
    Necessity to look after yourself almost too aggressively to achieve promotions.

Great experience

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits; open communication between levels; felt like my work and opinions were respected even by upper management in my group. In addition, my last manager there was excellent.

Cons

There was not much opportunity for advancement within my group for me (I was interested in pursuing software development rather than management) and it was hard to break into other groups, even though I had received consistently high performance reviews. Although I felt qualified, I was unable to land any positions that interested me in the Seattle area and ended up leaving the company so that I could continue to grow.

I was happy with the managers that I dealth with.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft