There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Targets set to 130% of what is reasonable.

Former Employee - Programmer Writer in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Programmer Writer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pick your manager, the good ones will excuse the things you don't get to. Network with other groups, pick a winning product, don't get tied down with a losing product. Benefits and perks are great, they are giving all sort of windows 8 goodies to the FTEs - while they are cutting medical coverage - go figure.

Cons

Work life balance is a joke unless you are very tight with your manager. Manage your own career, Microsoft will not love you.

reviews filtered by

I didn't make anything for the first year and a half. Just fixed bugs. Not fun.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Great bosses. Great colleagues that you can rely on. Private or shared offices (team size/facilities permitting; expect a three-plus year wait or management for privacy in my experience). Good facilities. Pretty good equipment. Lots of cafeterias with varying kinds of food. Company name recognition and respect. Free sodas and juices.

Cons

A not-invented-here mentality. The company is split into fiefdoms that look out for themselves first. The CEO, Steve Ballmer, is a clown with no vision, inspiration, or appeal. No cool perks like at Google: no free food, no massages, no campus bicycles, no 20% time, etc. There's a stink of stagnation and irrelevance. You have to use Windows and Microsoft tools (no UNIX terminal or programs). Huge wastes of time: dependencies are often constructed in parallel, and the stuff you need just isn't there yet (contrast this to an iterative approach). Most tools are home grown and not supported very well. No Git or other decentralized version control; it's like CVS or SVN, but a worse Microsoft version. Terrible Sharepoint wiki software used for internal wikis. Often times, some internal tool doesn't work, and you have no idea who to talk to.

Advice to Management

Fire Ballmer. Great products over great profits. Focus on consumer products, and customers will pressure their workplaces to let them use those products, as with Apple products. Eliminate 20/70/10 employee performance ratings (and the required no-bonus for at least one employee per team). Pay a higher base salary in the Seattle area. Break up the product fiefdoms into functional organizations: software, hardware, services, or whatever, not Office, Windows, Bing, etc. Ditch not-invented-here. Iterate, don't parallelize. Stop slapping the Windows brand on things that don't have windows. Figure out how to be cool again, or you're going to have trouble recruiting the fresh college graduates.

2. Great company, but I was in a hostile work environment so left a lot to be desired.

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great people for the most part. Interesting work, fast paced and very diverse. Many perks, great campus and overall a good place to work.

Cons

Several people in leadership roles acted like children much of the time. Corporate VP was a loud mouth who had a permanent strain in his arm from patting himself on the back for work other did. GM in my group was so biased that I was amazed at her conduct. I'm glad I'm no longer there.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people that act like little kids during meetings.