Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Awesome company to work!

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair work-life balance. Competitive salaries/benefits/perks. Work on or with cutting-edge technology that will impact the life of millions of people worldwide.

Cons

It's a very big company, and there can be differences in work culture cross divisions.

8773 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Microsoft LCA

Former Employee - Senior Attorney in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Attorney in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The healthcare benefits are great; salaries range is in keeping with national average for in-house attorneys.

Cons

The culture is highly political. Employees are promoted based on politics (READ: the ability to kiss ass) rather than talent as an attorney. In fact, if you are interested in actually doing your job well and being an honest employee and team player, you can pretty much bet that you'll spend your career in the bottom rungs of the department getting the shaft from the dirtbags who get promoted over you. As a result, the senior levels in the department are filled with vicious backstabbing idiots and the culture is pretty much the equivalent of that you'd find in the arena at the Hunger Games. Everyone is out for themselves and eager to find a team member to offer up for sacrifice as one of the mandatory bottom 10% under-performers required for each review period.

The work isn't challenging-- a chimp could do most of it as its based on using templates and following instructions on the "One LCA" Intranet site. You'll spend 90% of your time filling out forms or copying word-for-word the recommended response to a client question posted on the Intranet.

Like the rest of Microsoft, LCA needs a complete change at the top. There's really no advise that I can provide to the current management, except this: resign for the good of the department and the company.

Great People & Benefits...Questionable Middle Management

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

forerunner in creating great benefits, healthcare, 401(k), ESPP..even gave us $800/year for gym membership or exercise equipment. The people there were also great (if you like a-type personalities). Was the first company I've worked for where I genuinely liked going out to lunches, trips, and events with my fellow coworkers.

Cons

they really force you to drink their kool-aid. I also hated having to attend annual/semi-annual irrelevant events. Middle management was very questionable--many focused too much on numbers instead of bringing out the best in their direct reports. Claim to support diversity but still a very male, white or asian company.

Create & support more programs that truly value young talent and diverse. Select managers based on people management capabilities not just ability to drive numbers.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft