There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Best five years of employment ever!

Former Employee - Senior Support Engineer in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Senior Support Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with some of the smartest people in the world. Fantastic team, great leadership, terrific work environment.

Cons

too few to mention, it was a great place to work and I enjoyed it until I got burned out on the phones. My getting tired of support calls wasn't a Microsoft issue.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

It's a amazing company on a path to regain the crown

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Experience with variety of technology, products, business opportunities within same umbrella - Great place to learn about developing large scale software - Great salary and benefits - company takes good care of employees

Cons

- Some Performance evaluation philosophies are flawed - Management is rarely measured for good people management. -good technical folks are people managers.

Advice to Management

- Agility of software development hindered by tools - People Managers should be seriously measured for people management - When products fail or under-perform, it should impact executives who lead it, but have moved on to other jobs.

Microsoft Response

Nov 26, 2012 – Marketing Manager

Great review, thank you for taking the time. We appreciate the honest feedback. Best, GEM

Great company to work for until your luck runs out

Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of internal opportunities - if you don't like your current job/manager/project - you can make a change without leaving the company. Benefits are top-notch. Compensation is finally (as of 2012) up to par with other big local players.

Cons

Very uneven work/life balance across the company. A lot depends on a team, and a manager. Review system (as of 2012) creates unhealthy rush to avoid getting the bottom 2 ratings (which 20% of the people HAVE to receive). It's next to impossible to go anywhere in the company with a bad rating.