Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Not the company it used to be

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsThe great thing about a company like this is that they have the resources, talent, and market share to affect millions of peoples' lives in a positive way. Working there gave me a great sense of being able to make an impact on the world. It's filled with people that know how to make good software and work hard.

ConsManagement structure has stifled the company's ability innovate and doesn't allow individual creativity and ingenuity to flourish and contribute to the product. It's easy to get pigeon-holed in a specific role. As a result, you have to be willing to change groups every couple of years if you want to make sure you don't get bored and you continue to receive the compensation you deserve.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many people in management positions that don't belong there. There needs to be a tighter screening of the people that you promote to management-level positions and the ones that make it there need to be more open and accepting of the contributions their team members can make, that might not fit into the strict definition of their role. Sometimes the best innovation comes from somebody who is close to the product but might not work in a particular area (a developer with a great UX idea, a tester with a great feature idea, etc.)

Frenetic Activity, Challenging, Competitive and Fun

Service Level Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Working with the latest technologies, Exciting Projects , Smart People,… Cons: The Review system is counterproductive, Managers are not trained to bring out the best in their staff ,… Advice to Senior Management: You draw the best people but your approach to resource management drives them off and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Overall a good company

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: A great company overall. Pay is very competitive and even thought recent changes to benefit… Cons: due to years of stagnant growth, it is increasingly difficult to move up the ladder. Make sure you… Advice to Senior Management: Take a hard look at the review system. I work in a team of Ivy league educated peers and forcing top performers in to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!