Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Cheap, Competitive payrates for Contractors.

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free Coffee made from real beans. lol Lots of smart people, and top talent to be around. Inspiring. You'll meet some of the most talented, driven, aggressively smart, and most knowledgeable people in the Industry. Except for the Nepotists.

Cons

Unnecessarily competitive in a weird way, can be intimidating, lots of nerds, very narrow focus, but highly detailed. The nepotism ruins it all. Even hiring friends over another that's more passionate about the Industry is what holds Microsoft back in the dust of Apple and Google. LOL

Leave the Harvard Business Formalities at home, this is the new frontier we're trying to create, not perpetuate textbook methodologies.

8654 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Overall a good company

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great company overall. Pay is very competitive and even thought recent changes to benefit packages are passing more costs on to the employee, they are still among the very best.

Cons

due to years of stagnant growth, it is increasingly difficult to move up the ladder. Make sure you are happy with the job you start in, because stories about moving jobs after 18 months are largely untrue.

Take a hard look at the review system. I work in a team of Ivy league educated peers and forcing top performers in to a forced bell curve creates a negative/cut throat work environment. If I leave Microsoft, it will be because I want a happier and more team oriented work environment.

It wasn't for me

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) I in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) I in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had great job security, I worked on impactful products that people know about and use, the salary and benefits were great. I felt I was able to have a life and not live at the office.

Cons

It's a bureaucratic organization where it is hard to innovate. In many cases, bad management decisions result in poor products being released that don't necessarily provide the user with any benefit.

Allow employees more freedom to create their own role.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft