There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Cheap, Competitive payrates for Contractors.

Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA
Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free Coffee made from real beans. lol Lots of smart people, and top talent to be around. Inspiring. You'll meet some of the most talented, driven, aggressively smart, and most knowledgeable people in the Industry. Except for the Nepotists.

Cons

Unnecessarily competitive in a weird way, can be intimidating, lots of nerds, very narrow focus, but highly detailed. The nepotism ruins it all. Even hiring friends over another that's more passionate about the Industry is what holds Microsoft back in the dust of Apple and Google. LOL

Advice to Management

Leave the Harvard Business Formalities at home, this is the new frontier we're trying to create, not perpetuate textbook methodologies.

reviews filtered by
  1. It wasn't for me

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) I in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) I in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had great job security, I worked on impactful products that people know about and use, the salary and benefits were great. I felt I was able to have a life and not live at the office.

Cons

It's a bureaucratic organization where it is hard to innovate. In many cases, bad management decisions result in poor products being released that don't necessarily provide the user with any benefit.

Advice to Management

Allow employees more freedom to create their own role.

Microsoft's Dynamics division is not the same experience as the rest of Microsoft

Former Employee - Various in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Various in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unparalleled Healthcare - everything is free (no premiums, no deductibles, no copays) however employees may start contributing to their health premium costs due to Obamacare in 2013 or 2014.

Very sharp people work there. The general attitude of my former colleagues is to think proactively to new trends and technologies and not be a follower. I have worked for competitors who always consider what Microsoft is doing with regards to adopting something new

When you work for Microsoft the respect you feel in a room among others in the technology industry is a nice perk

Cons

The Dynamics division of Microsoft which represents the 2000 acquisition of Great Plains and 2002 acquisition of Navision has yet to completely feel like what I understand the experience to be in other divisions of Microsoft. The biggest thing I noticed is the leadership. There are many that are not the caliber of professional you would expect from a VP or GM of Microsoft.

The strategy of the Dynamics division is like dealing with an ADHD child. High-level strategy can change as soon as every six months and mid-level strategy can change as often as every quarter.

I have worked at Microsoft twice. The first time was as an employee of one of the above-mentioned acquisitions they made. It was one of the worst experiences of my professional career mainly due to the fact that Microsoft executive management allowed only one of the two ERP companies they acquired to manage the entire division and did not police them at all. My supposedly strategic team of 18 was laid off a few years later.

About 5 years later I found myself back at Microsoft Dynamics division with information that the internal product fighting was gone, so I thought it would be safe. Unfortunately the top management of my particular group was horrible and after two years I decided to leave again. I recently heard that HR finally acted on three years of negative feedback on these managers from their employees and removed them from power, but it was too late for me and many others.

The worst thing that applies to all of Microsoft is their annual review methodology. Each team manager is required to pick a percentage of their team for a high score, a percentage for a medium score and another percentage for a low score. Even if a manager had a team of superstars they would be forced to grade this way. It creates a lot of back stabbing and politics.

One last irritating thing is the blind loyalty they expect everyone to have toward their products. I understand the importance of supporting your employer by purchasing their products, but what if they produce inferior products? When the iPod first came out it was an unspoken taboo to own an iPod and not a Zune or some other MP3 player. Later when Microsoft got into the cell phone business they became very anti iPhone and Android. If they caught you with one you would no longer get your monthly $100 phone allowance even though Microsoft has absolutely sucked in this market.

Overall Microsoft is not the worst place to work and is probably great for some people (it certainly looks impressive on a resume), but I will not return there.

Advice to Management

Top management needs to get back to being the industry innovators instead of following Google and other cloud providers and Apple and Google in the cellular field. Everyone over there is very focused on getting into "the cloud", but it seemed reactionary.

The number one thing that needs repair is the method of annual employee evaluation. In addition they will need to start paying more competitive salaries if they begin to mess with the free health care benefit.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft