Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great for 16 years, awful for one.

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Microsoft is a big company with a tremendous number of great people and opportunities. I was able to have several different "careers" by working for different organizations within the company. I could retain the great benefits and seniority while growing my salary and experiences.

Cons

The stack ranking and review system is awful. All it takes is one bad manager, or the sudden loss of a good manager, to quickly go from being a star to a low-ranked candidate on the way out the door. Microsoft has lost many, many excellent, dedicated employees due to the current review system.

Empowered middle managers (GMs and directors) are able to ruin an employee's career in an instant. Senior management should keep an eye on this behavior because it is eroding the company's talent base.

9044 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Company is changing

Current Employee - Account Technology Specialist (ATS) in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Technology Specialist (ATS) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large, great pay and benefits

Cons

Losing the trust in your employees. Micromanagement is now the standard instead of trust.

When you hire Sr. people, trust they will do the job and if the numbers are there, let them run with their role.

Cheap, Competitive payrates for Contractors.

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free Coffee made from real beans. lol Lots of smart people, and top talent to be around. Inspiring. You'll meet some of the most talented, driven, aggressively smart, and most knowledgeable people in the Industry. Except for the Nepotists.

Cons

Unnecessarily competitive in a weird way, can be intimidating, lots of nerds, very narrow focus, but highly detailed. The nepotism ruins it all. Even hiring friends over another that's more passionate about the Industry is what holds Microsoft back in the dust of Apple and Google. LOL

Leave the Harvard Business Formalities at home, this is the new frontier we're trying to create, not perpetuate textbook methodologies.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft