Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

MS is broken

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, company has vast resources, work / life balance is acceptable

Cons

insular, internally focused, culture is one of complacency. Inept management all the way to the top, poor review system, one is judged by how well the political game is played, not by work done or accomplishments.

I have no faith or belief that any in my management chain knows what they are doing - time to shake it up at all levels.

9020 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, great technology.

Cons

Top heavy, everyone trying to get to high level jobs instead of doing their jobs. Higher levels taking credit for work done by their employees. Very internally focused, MS competes more internally than it does externally.

Get a clue. You are destroying a once great company. The technology is superior but MS needs to learn how to market products beyond product launch. Once the product is launched everyone thinks the job is done. You have changed the compensation program so that managers no longer can incent the right behaviors of employees, common sense has been removed from the system. Stop getting rid of you high paid employees. They still have a lot of knowledge that will take the company to the future. To many politics, have to play games to get ahead. Instead get rid of the people that are just along for the ride or those who Power Point themselves to promotion. Presentations do not guarantee execution............

Great for 16 years, awful for one.

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Microsoft is a big company with a tremendous number of great people and opportunities. I was able to have several different "careers" by working for different organizations within the company. I could retain the great benefits and seniority while growing my salary and experiences.

Cons

The stack ranking and review system is awful. All it takes is one bad manager, or the sudden loss of a good manager, to quickly go from being a star to a low-ranked candidate on the way out the door. Microsoft has lost many, many excellent, dedicated employees due to the current review system.

Empowered middle managers (GMs and directors) are able to ruin an employee's career in an instant. Senior management should keep an eye on this behavior because it is eroding the company's talent base.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft