There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Decent.. but not perfect

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers are great - really smart and fun - we work hard and play hard. They have given us some great access to products at low or no costs. Dog fooding the latest and greatest software is pretty great and I would miss that if I left.

Cons

The review process is the worst - it creates a culture of mistrust and fierce, unhealthy competition amongst peers. There seems to be a push to get rid of long term employees, that have always been great performers, in order to "save money" since they make too much after being around for so long. The sales side is now getting horrible reviews (4 or 5) if they don't make 100% of quota and leaving for the competition.

Change the review model!!!

reviews filtered by

hit it and quit it

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Valuable political and product design skills that will serve you well as long as they don't poison the culture at future employers. Stay there long enough to get a promotion or two, see how a big company ships large complicated pieces of software then leave.

Cons

There is no company mission except make more money. Career management basically means developing a useless skill of positioning yourself to have "visibility" and "impact". Especially pronounced at GPM or equivalent level.

If you're in the big groups (Windows/Office/STB), the build systems knowledge doesn't carry over very well. They use a hacked up version of perforce for source control and branching and integration is extremely expensive. Continuous integration simply isn't feasible yet on a system of that size (though private builds and replacing individual DLLs at certain layers is possible).

Why?

Great place if your manager likes you

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you work there and have a good manager, make them successful and follow them as their career advances. That's one way to succeed...

Cons

Reorgs take their toll as you can end up with a new manager every few months. With the ranking system in place, it's easy to clash with a new manager who has to 'contribute' someone to the bottom of the ranking and once that happens don't expect to recover - or to find a good job in another group.

Read the Vanity Fair article once a week... Start thinking about why the person was hired and where their skills, experience and talents could be used rather than simply dumping them and them ending up with as many open positions are there are - and crying for more work permits.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft