There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Decent.. but not perfect

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers are great - really smart and fun - we work hard and play hard. They have given us some great access to products at low or no costs. Dog fooding the latest and greatest software is pretty great and I would miss that if I left.

Cons

The review process is the worst - it creates a culture of mistrust and fierce, unhealthy competition amongst peers. There seems to be a push to get rid of long term employees, that have always been great performers, in order to "save money" since they make too much after being around for so long. The sales side is now getting horrible reviews (4 or 5) if they don't make 100% of quota and leaving for the competition.

Change the review model!!!

8371 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

hit it and quit it

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Valuable political and product design skills that will serve you well as long as they don't poison the culture at future employers. Stay there long enough to get a promotion or two, see how a big company ships large complicated pieces of software then leave.

Cons

There is no company mission except make more money. Career management basically means developing a useless skill of positioning yourself to have "visibility" and "impact". Especially pronounced at GPM or equivalent level.

If you're in the big groups (Windows/Office/STB), the build systems knowledge doesn't carry over very well. They use a hacked up version of perforce for source control and branching and integration is extremely expensive. Continuous integration simply isn't feasible yet on a system of that size (though private builds and replacing individual DLLs at certain layers is possible).

Why?

MS is broken

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, company has vast resources, work / life balance is acceptable

Cons

insular, internally focused, culture is one of complacency. Inept management all the way to the top, poor review system, one is judged by how well the political game is played, not by work done or accomplishments.

I have no faith or belief that any in my management chain knows what they are doing - time to shake it up at all levels.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft