Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

hit it and quit it

Program Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsValuable political and product design skills that will serve you well as long as they don't poison the culture at future employers. Stay there long enough to get a promotion or two, see how a big company ships large complicated pieces of software then leave.

ConsThere is no company mission except make more money. Career management basically means developing a useless skill of positioning yourself to have "visibility" and "impact". Especially pronounced at GPM or equivalent level.

If you're in the big groups (Windows/Office/STB), the build systems knowledge doesn't carry over very well. They use a hacked up version of perforce for source control and branching and integration is extremely expensive. Continuous integration simply isn't feasible yet on a system of that size (though private builds and replacing individual DLLs at certain layers is possible).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy?

Decent.. but not perfect

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: My coworkers are great - really smart and fun - we work hard and play hard. They have given us some great access to… Cons: The review process is the worst - it creates a culture of mistrust and fierce, unhealthy competition amongst peers. There seems to be a push… Advice to Senior Management: Change the review model!!! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Not as good as it once was.

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Fantastic exposure to technology, people and cultures--great diversity. There are a few shining stars for product lines and people. Competitive… Cons: Too much of the all smaller product lines exist to help sell the larger product lines mentality. Stack ranking is creating a culture of people… Advice to Senior Management: Look at the stock price over the last 10 years--why is Steve B. still there? Clear out the middle management--their only purpose is to track… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!