Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Best employer ever!

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They treat you really, really well. World's best health insurance. Employees are clearly valued. Rating process feels very fair and transparent. Lots of interesting and relevant work. Very little bureaucracy. On the inside, it's clear that this is an exceptionally innovative company, and that we're working on solving all the right problems in the right ways. We also have a clear revenue model, which means that our interests are aligned with those of our product's users, in a way that isn't true for all companies in the industry (many of whom rely on advertising revenue to a much greater extent).

Cons

The food is pretty bad. (Yes, that's really the worst thing about working here.)

8654 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Microsoft - A declining company

Former Employee - Director Product Management in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Director Product Management in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fair to good pay, stable company, good benefits, especially if you have a family. Working at Microsoft affords you a middle to upper middle class lifestyle in a beautiful part of the country (Microsoft is based in the Pacific Northwest).

Cons

Corporate is quite political and based on a stack ranking where those who do not know you or your work are giving your compensation and reviews. This means that you're spending quite a bit time building and managing your "self brand" and managing those around you and especially above you. Those that can play politics well will do well, however it does not mean that the best ideas make its way to the top. It my belief that the main reason is that the company has a significant amount of bloat with layers upon layers of people who are trying to justify their role. This was not always the case - certainly not the case when I joined nearly 14 years ago (I was there for 11 years and left three years ago).

One word - LEAD.

Losing our passion to bureaucracy

Current Employee - International Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - International Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A job that appeals to "A-types". Beginning to look at competitive salary compensation now. Lots of different jobs to try out once you are in. Free soft drinks!

Cons

MS is becoming stagnant and promotions are becoming more and more difficult as each year passes particularly in the core groups like Windows and Office. If you are not an overachiever, prepare to be quickly filtered out. Work life balance is becoming an increasing problem as consolidation of resources continues at an alarming rate. MS had a medical plan that was top in the PNW up to 2012 but thanks to "Obamacare", has joined the "meh" category.

Stacked ranking is an old system for keeping friends in their jobs, not promoting the real performers.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft