There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

It was phenomenal.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are one of the biggest and most successful companies in the world.

Cons

Moving to Washington is just too much.

I would prepare speaking more before the interview.

8385 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Sad company, 100% political, No more a Innovative company, Don't ruin your life here

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A decent paycheck & good benefits to run your family better.
    Considering windows share more than 80% of world OS, you can see interesting tech products every two years.
    You can change organisations if you are not screwed with stack ranking
    When joining negotiate and get a job with higher level because once you join growth is very slow

Cons

I had great respect for Microsoft when I joined. I turned down Google for Microsoft. This is what I get from Microsoft for that.

i) No value to real work.
    ii) Talk, talk and talk BS. Add politics to it and you will grow.
    iii) Company is full of managers who are C+ or B+. The only task of these people are play politics, stab on other people and grow. A completely disgusting culture.
    iv) People with passion for Microsoft are home grown. Typically they are freshers join the company and fed with Microsoft biased videos. These noob's eventually create the creepy culture inside Microsoft.
    v) Company management dont care for people. They fire people easily for no reason.
    vi) Don't expect to get a amazing job elsewhere because of MS brand. This is no more respected anymore. Companies like Google or Apple rock in this matter.
    Work life balance sucks if you are in lower level.

( LAST one ) Microsoft has a stack ranking system. Its screws up 50% of people even if you are the best. 50% of company is walking dead who hate their job. Now imagine the company with this culture. If you are the best look elsewhere because Microsoft is not for the BEST

Screw your management. Fire Balmer. Put Balmer on stack ranking system and make him feel he is in the lower 20%. Yes get him fired too. would love to see him jumping like a mad dog.

I can never recommend Microsoft as A+ company anymore. If you get offer from Google, go there.

Root of all evil = Performance Review Model

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sharp individual contributors, but all the good and hones ones (i.e. who don't play dirty political games) quit.

Cons

1) the worst performance review model ... ever! Encourages competition and backstabbing, not collaboration and a healthy team environment.
    2) Deteriorating health benefits
    3) Flat stock
    4) Poor work life balance.

stop living in political circles, either in or out (i.e. be more inclusive and accpeting of other management styles and techniquest). If that's not an option for you old geazers, then get out!

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft