The real Microsoft

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Microsoft, at least in STB, is a great place to work, great products, very good senior leadership and a great engagement with customers, partners and community.

Cons

Company structure and politics leads to a lot of time wasted and products shipped that show the seams of the company. A SteveB level restructure is needed.

Advice to Management

Restructure into 5 groups, get rid of peripheral distractions, stop focusing on the consumer stuff so much - we are not Apple so stop trying to be.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

If you're an engineer, it's like working at Disneyland

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) Very smart, knowledgeable coworkers. You can definitely learn from your team mates. 2) Many interesting projects to choose from. No matter what part of computer science you are interested in, there's some group working on it. 3) Top notch development tools and other software at work. 4) Better than average pay, great benefits. 5) Free MSDN Ultimate subscription for Employees means you can get almost every Microsoft software product free for your home use. Deep discounts on Microsoft products at the company store when you are buying gifts for friends. 6) Most employees have their own office (though many new employees are doubled up), so you don't hear everyone's personal phone conversations at work.

Cons

1) If you are used to being the smartest and most capable developer in your company, that won't be true anymore. Your coworkers will be just as smart as you. This is hard for some people to deal with. 2) Arbitrary but Darwinian personnel evaluation process. This alienates a lot of good workers. Read the Vanity Fair article for details. 3) It's a really big company, so all the big company ills are present - lots of unnecessary process, empire building, political (character) assassinations in the management ranks.

Advice to Management

Scrap the evaluation system. If you put together a team of 10 superstars, you shouldn't have to torpedo one of the superstar's career's to fit an arbitrary curve.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great pay & benefits. The management on my team is phenomenal at recognizing the strengths of each individual and giving assignments based on those. I really like being able to work from home when I need. Additionally, I haven't been forced to work nights or weekends once my entire career.

Cons

I don't really like living in Redmond, and there aren't too many opportunities to work in other cities if you are a technical engineer.