There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great, stable employer getting better with age.

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Lots of job opportunity if open to moving from business group to business group. Surrounded by smart people, most of whom are very passionate about what they are doing. Exposed to cool technology that impacts billions of people around world. Pride in alignment to the Microsoft brand.

Cons

Increasingly competitive and political culture for rewards given forced ranking performance system. Size can translate to an impersonal environment that is diminished in some teams, but exists across company. External impression is that there are endless budgets and resources to get work done, so leveraging experience at Microsoft into next role can be challenging if pursuing a small company opportunity.

8179 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

The place where you can have opportunities and valuable colleagues.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Exceptional workplace environment as well as professional and trustable colleagues. The number 1 company in the SW space were you can vary your job from business to consumer to online to device and game. I think no any other company could offer this panel of opportunities to growth our personal and professional skills.

Cons

Some BU has too much pressure on results, short term versus mid-long. Employee calibration too much standardized and impersonal, under some math rules.

All of my managers were great persons, some on both aspects human and professional.. some only professional. Always I learned something and kept in mind lots of directions I received to run the Company life as well as the professional and personal life.

A once great company that has lost its way in a sea of politics, destructive stack ranking and micro managed scorecards.

Current Employee - Account Technology Strategist  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Technology Strategist in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some smart people work at Microsoft
    Physical working conditions are great

Cons

Teamwork destroying Stack Ranking
    Rewards for playing politics rather than doing a good job
    Mindless bureacracy and pointless processes
    Poor strategic direction
    Centralised control via inflexible scorecards. You expend effort on colouring in scorecards even when it is clearly the wrong use of resources

Get rid of Ballmer and Turner
    Get rid of Stack Ranking

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!