There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Tough times ahead but still loving every minute

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Microsoft faces tough competition from Apple, Google, VM Ware, Amazon, Sony - you name it. But the opportunities are huge. I am sure that Microsoft will get its Mojo back and consumers will see it.

Cons

The review system is probably one of the worst I have seen in my career - it makes you totally dependend on your manager. With all the re-orgs you are not always in control of your destiny (aka manager).

Advice to Management

Find a (marketing) way to make everyone and their brother undestand why we have the best "better together" story in the industry. Windows 8 is a great start but needs more consistency esp. Windows RT. Surface is by far the best Hardware in the market but gets downgraded by a so so experience on RT.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

Once a great company, but on the decline

Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart and creative people Lots of assets - if used together can build amazing products At moments you can still find brilliance and passion (although getting more rare every day) Competitive pay and vacation. Would have said great benefits too but they have been significantly reduced and complicated in 2013.

Cons

Lack of strategy and strong leadership across the company. Leaders are more interested in being individual heroes rather than defining, setting context and guiding execution of strategic initiatives. Competitive, internally focused review model causes bad politics, back-stabbing and general lack of collaboration and teamwork Reluctance to take risks and innovate due to short-term politically focused review model. Functional organization model causes endless meetings and lack of customer and product focus. Way too many people have to be in every discussion and there is no empowerment or ownership of decisions. Would have given the company 5 stars years ago and have hoped it could return to its more passionate, innovative and empowering days, but it is on a decline in most ways - talent, products and leadership.

Advice to Management

Bring in a new CEO and presidents, define strategy and reset culture Replace the review model with one that rewards team work and is not internally competitive. Return to an organizational model around businesses and products and not functions, empower leaders and hold them accountable for business results

Two Class of Employees Structure

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume after you leave; If you didn't know how politics work on a Big company it will help you learn. Great Work Environment, top of the line IT infrastructure, Food at the office is gourmet, working conditions is the best I have seen. Going to the actual office is Optional, If you like traveling and you are an employee, you can circle the world, and take training nonstop all year round.

Cons

This is a two “very” separated class environment, where FTEs are the higher class with all benefits, career advancement, opportunity for lateral moves etc. If you happen to be a contractor (60%) of the workforce at least in the Area I was working. You can expect low pay, no benefits and absolutely no career advancement, if there is an open position and there is an FTE who wants that position there is no way a contractor can get it. Politics are as you can expect on a Big company, not worst than any other I have worked at. Contractors in general do the work; FTEs in general do the PPT and travel around showing the presentation to the Bosses..! A lot of time is consumed on trying to show progress on whatever it is that you are doing, even if there is no progress at all.

Advice to Management

My Advice to Management; just look at the trajectory of the company, you can’t be a best class company with 60% of the workforce being contractors, focus on the several layers of Fat on the structure of that company, or face reality..!