There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great company! I'm proud that I'm part of this team.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

There are numerous reasons for why I choose to work for Microsoft: getting paid for what I really enjoy doing, excellent advancement opportunities, fast growing company, great benefits, fun working environment, extremely talented/smart people etc.

Cons

It's quite difficult to get in, even if you know the requirements for the job. It helps a lot to know somebody inside! My friend was a babysitter for this manager at Microsoft and now she is his personal assistant (no experience, no knowledge whatsoever).

Keep up the good work! Listen to your workers and embrace the diversity of talent within your division.

reviews filtered by

One happy Softie here...

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft offers a transparent workplace that values and rewards fact based decision making. The team that I work on is fantastic, and this sentiment is shared broadly across my extended group. Expectations are high at Microsoft, personal accountability is expected, contributions are recognized and efforts are rewarded. I particularly value the self-awareness that is so central to the culture at Microsoft. Product/service limitations are openly acknowledged, and they drive people to work hard at improving what we produce. Finally, living and working in the Pacific Northwest is a privilege that makes the damper months more than worth it. The natural surroundings are nothing short of stunning, a fact I'm frequently reminded of when I return home from my many business trips.

Cons

As with any large organization, and particularly one like Microsoft where power accrues to individual business groups, politics can at times play an outsized role in cross-group collaboration. There can also a fair amount of bureaucracy when trying to effect change in projects with numerous stakeholders. Time spent in meetings can also get out of hand, so an ability to manage one's time around this reality is critical.

Communicate strategy more effectively to the troops. We love the company, but we need to see the excitement that surrounds so many companies in this industry.

First impression of a newbie at MSFT.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

As Bill Gates says: "This is the place where you can change the world". It is quite true. That is probably the single most reason for me to work. Compensation package is at par with industry. Tremendos opportunities for professional and career growth. Clear cut defined roles and expectations. Best in the nation medical coverage.

Cons

Reviews can be bureacratic. Very hierarchical levels. There is some lack of direction in terms of technical strategy. Groups are pretty independent and hence, at times, often compete with each other. Some people can loose track with too much job security.

Encourage free discussion of opposing ideas. Many people are just unaware of world or technical direction outside Microsoft. Top leadership at Microsoft is very competent. But, middle tier is so so.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft