There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great company! I'm proud that I'm part of this team.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

There are numerous reasons for why I choose to work for Microsoft: getting paid for what I really enjoy doing, excellent advancement opportunities, fast growing company, great benefits, fun working environment, extremely talented/smart people etc.

Cons

It's quite difficult to get in, even if you know the requirements for the job. It helps a lot to know somebody inside! My friend was a babysitter for this manager at Microsoft and now she is his personal assistant (no experience, no knowledge whatsoever).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Listen to your workers and embrace the diversity of talent within your division.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The best place to build software.

Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

You have the opportunity to make an impact on the world stage along side some of the best and the brightest from all over the world. Microsoft takes an active interest in developing its employees and their compensation and benefits are top-notch. Microsoft listens to its employees. The programs and benefits it offers are constantly changing in reponse to that feedback. Finally, its a company with a very diverse product line that is always moving into new areas so it's possible to make big career changes without needing to start over with a new company.

Cons

Its a huge company and despite its constant financial success its stock price is stagnant. Its not for the get-rich-quick crowd. It can be a bit demoralizing to not be able to read the tech news without finding some article demonizing Microsoft for one thing or another. Microsoft is making huge strides in improving its reputation, but it still has a long way to go. You need to develop a thick skin for dealing with outspoken anti-Microsoft zealots.

Advice to Management

Stay aggressive. Keep pushing into new markets, but don't throw the money away. Push for some level of consistant fiscal responsibility between the divisions. Stay sharp in the standards fight. Keep trying to build your relationship with the open source community and the European Comission.

2. Working at Microsoft isn't black and white

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Despite Microsoft been broadly painted on the outside as a faceless corporation, it is a west coast tech company on the inside and it is full of a lot of geeks who are passionate about what they do. There is a ton to learn from a lot of really smart people, if you put the effort in. If you think there's nothing you can learn about engineering software by working at Microsoft, you're kidding yourself. Employees are looked after well with benefits: health care, gym membership, the bus system, individual offices, free food (during crunch times), free drinks, etc. Depending on your team, you may take part in some pretty cool morale events (cruises, paintballing, jet skiing, etc.) and/or ship parties. There are seemingly unlimited resources (except for time) when it comes to getting your job done. Hardware, both in the office and the labs; software, released and private; educational resources such as online courses, internal talks, guest talks, MS library, mentors. The people are generally open-minded when it comes to non-MS technologies. There is no stigma against using Google for search, walking around campus with an iPhone or using vim to edit a text file (ok, this is not necessarily true if you worked on certain product teams). There is a healthy dose of criticism of our own products, even if this is never portrayed externally. Pragmatism and using the right tool for the right job are a solid part of the internal culture.

Cons

Although there are a lot of smart people at Microsoft, there are also a lot of incompetent people and a whole bunch of coasters (i.e. people who do barely enough to not get fired). The company is schizophrenic and the people at the top need to figure out what company Microsoft is these days, and let the rest of us know. I think there are many different spaces that we have no right being in, especially considering that some of the mature parts of the company could use some house cleaning. There are definitely old boys clubs -- so to speak -- in parts of the company, and having the right friends can get you promoted faster. The performance review system needs an overhaul: the current system biases people too heavily towards working for a promotion rather than working to build great software. Perhaps my biggest complaint is baring the weight of the company's external image. The worst are the irrational perceptions held by your peers in the industry; these are people who are suppose to be scientists and engineers, but religious assertions prevail once you get them talking about Microsoft. The company's poor image stems from both internal and external factors, and the people internally who act in the Microsoft image need to be taught differently or pushed out.

Advice to Management

1. Sort out the schizophrenia. 2. Work on rebuilding the company's image, now. The battering that we're taking here is almost too much to bare.