There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Marketing is a great use of my experience

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

money makes the world go round

Cons

politics and people are frustrating

8056 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Overall Satisfied

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For talented and smart individuals, there are opportunities to move within the company and for your career to grow. People at Microsoft are generally given the free reign to find out what is possible and to try out their ideas.

Cons

Recent changes in the health plan are difficult. I believe it diminishes the value of the overall Microsoft employment package. The review system is on a curve, so it can be difficult to stay competitive and above the curve. Team situations that are out of one's control can hold you back from an above average review score or from promotion.

Plenty of rote, unexciting work; twenty+ year old codebases

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours were flexible; manager did not micromanage; bright coworkers; excellent health insurance; if you are lucky (and very talented), you might get to work on something very interesting. The company is huge and moving around from team to team can expose one to a variety of technologies.

Cons

Disclosure: I was working on a very old piece of software and had little exposure to some of the newer projects at MS. Furthermore, I found the weather unbearably gloomy (Seattle), which no doubt played a role in my overall dissatisfaction.

Relatively few employees really get to contribute meaningfully (the rest are primarily engaged in useless work). The salary was relatively low. There was no feeling of passion of any kind in 80% of my coworkers. Internal "morale" meetings were a joke.

There is an excessive focus on individual features as opposed to providing a cohesive user experience.

Shake up the ranks--get rid of dead employees who are just hanging around without much use. Do not undertake projects that will result in incomplete/awkward functionality.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!