Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

8619 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Good Pay, Good Co-workers, Talent everywhere

Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with the brightest and hard working people
    50% of the company is sales, marketing, operations; so you don't have to be an engineer to work at Microsoft
    Lots of resources to get your job done
    Life on campus is excellent, including a health clinic
    Women are paid equally
    The pay is better than many others

Cons

No talent management: Each group is an island. If your job is eliminated, HR doesn't look to see where in the company you might be able to find a similar job, they just say goodbye to you, and loose incredible talent, knowledge, and institutional knowledge. This should really bug stockholders that realize this churn is expensive. There is employee development, just no talent management.

There is a bit of ageism. Not by factor of age, but by factor of tenure longevity. Supposedly there is a finance formula that creates targets of longevity, pay, grade, and other factors when a reduction is needed. In the recent job eliminations in 2014, this theme of more tenured, therefor older, employees are let go, and evident just looking at the people carrying out their boxes. It was just too obvious.

Women seem to have much slower speed in advancement. Paid the same, but men move through the ranks quicker. It is easy to see, if 29% of the company is made up of women, then why aren't 29% of Midlevel to senior managers women? The company isn't a startup there are established people of both genders. The company has 50% sales, marketing, operations, these are not traditionally male centric roles.

Work to keep employees moving into available jobs, versus paying severance etc. Only depart the poor performance employees. It is bad on morale to loose great employees. I hate seeing great talent not moved to other places that the company could benefit from their knowledge.

Could not imagine a better place to intern!

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Lots of smart people working there
    - Interesting products
    - Responsible projects assigned to interns
    - High requirements

Cons

Sometimes it feels like there is a huge overhead to even small tasks. But I guess that's the case at all big companies that need to manage big products.

I feel like Satya is moving the company actually forward through his new decisions like opening towards other platforms.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft