Microsoft
3.6 of 5 7,479 reviews
www.microsoft.com Redmond, WA 5000+ Employees

Once a great company, but on the decline

General Manager (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

ProsSmart and creative people
Lots of assets - if used together can build amazing products
At moments you can still find brilliance and passion (although getting more rare every day)
Competitive pay and vacation.
Would have said great benefits too but they have been significantly reduced and complicated in 2013.

ConsLack of strategy and strong leadership across the company. Leaders are more interested in being individual heroes rather than defining, setting context and guiding execution of strategic initiatives.

Competitive, internally focused review model causes bad politics, back-stabbing and general lack of collaboration and teamwork

Reluctance to take risks and innovate due to short-term politically focused review model.

Functional organization model causes endless meetings and lack of customer and product focus. Way too many people have to be in every discussion and there is no empowerment or ownership of decisions.

Would have given the company 5 stars years ago and have hoped it could return to its more passionate, innovative and empowering days, but it is on a decline in most ways - talent, products and leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in a new CEO and presidents, define strategy and reset culture
Replace the review model with one that rewards team work and is not internally competitive.
Return to an organizational model around businesses and products and not functions, empower leaders and hold them accountable for business results

Two Class of Employees Structure

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Looks great on your resume after you leave; If you didn't know how politics work on a Big company it will help you learn. Great… Cons: This is a two “very” separated class environment, where FTEs are the higher class with all benefits, career advancement, opportunity for lateral moves etc. If… Advice to Senior Management: My Advice to Management; just look at the trajectory of the company, you can’t be a best class company with… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Microsoft 2013

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
    Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: 1. You can design, code products that are used in… Cons: 1. Too many processes to deal with 2. Manager is God… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.