There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Mixed reviews, but the benefits are great while they last

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time

Pros

- Healthcare covered 100% for you & your spouse (although this will be ending soon ) - Free shuttles available only to full-time employees - Free high-end gym membership (not your ordinary 24 Hour Fitness) - Very competitive pay within the region - Generous discounts on MS software - Free Prime card that gives 2 for 1 discounts at many restaurants - Company library filled with valuable resources at your disposal - Prestigious reputation in Seattle - Filled with smart people

Cons

- Focus on Business software is not the most interesting field - Fairly political - Flat org structure - Not a lot of collaboration, forced to learn things on your own - Type A personalities can sometimes lead to heated/uncomfortable work environment - "Commons" cafeteria has a lot to offer, but lunch can be very expensive

Advice to Management

Should've bit the bullet and kept the 100% healthcare coverage. Free healthcare is such a huge perk and you'll see a mass exodus when this policy changes. The Silicon Valley companies can offer warm weather & "cool work," so you need to differentiate yourself somehow to remain competitive when challenging for talent.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. A great place to work, just abide to strong work-life balance boundaries . . .

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Too many to mention, great benefits, generous salaries, casual office work wear, great extra perks, concierge, ProClub, Stay Fit benefit, fantastic focus on upgrading cafeterias and new buildings are amazing. Free sparkling water. I was always incredibly content with my "deal". Exciting releases. but Enjoy the exhilaration of doing your very best work alongside incredible peers and indulge in some pure obsession. Pride! Oh, and access to the Library, the education benefits and just the internal training system is a giant perk to me and should be globally recognized by organizations that track such things. Kudos, Microsoft Librarians and Training Division.

Cons

STRESS. Know this going in - that you will need to put some energy in learning how to manage stress. If you can't convert it to excitement or use it healthily . . . maybe reconsider. This company hires the best of the best and they expect nothing but the best in return. You will make sacrifices. Your health might suffer if you don't buld in some exercise to burn off the cortisol. I think the review process is a bit brutal. I'm not convinced the process is incredibly fair because the managers have to stack rank all folks in same job level, and if you ALL do a stellar job, there is a bell curve of ratings to assign. It can be very deeply disappointing and de-motivating. If all did "5" level work, there has to be a 5.0, 4.5, 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 chosen from the five. I think this is just wrong! Perhaps they have changed it by now.

Advice to Management

Overall things are great and you are constantly working to recruit the best and developing perks toward that aim. As noted, the review process needs to shift on an individual rating, me compared to my review and goals.

It's what you make of it

Current Employee - Senior Design Strategist in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Strategist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vast career opportunities - more so in Redmond, but increasingly worldwide

Cons

Cross-divisional work is getting better, but still in need of improvement

Advice to Management

Drive agility. Be bold. Think people first.