Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A great place to work, just abide to strong work-life balance boundaries . . .

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Too many to mention, great benefits, generous salaries, casual office work wear, great extra perks, concierge, ProClub, Stay Fit benefit, fantastic focus on upgrading cafeterias and new buildings are amazing. Free sparkling water. I was always incredibly content with my "deal". Exciting releases. but Enjoy the exhilaration of doing your very best work alongside incredible peers and indulge in some pure obsession. Pride! Oh, and access to the Library, the education benefits and just the internal training system is a giant perk to me and should be globally recognized by organizations that track such things. Kudos, Microsoft Librarians and Training Division.

Cons

STRESS. Know this going in - that you will need to put some energy in learning how to manage stress. If you can't convert it to excitement or use it healthily . . . maybe reconsider. This company hires the best of the best and they expect nothing but the best in return. You will make sacrifices. Your health might suffer if you don't buld in some exercise to burn off the cortisol.

I think the review process is a bit brutal. I'm not convinced the process is incredibly fair because the managers have to stack rank all folks in same job level, and if you ALL do a stellar job, there is a bell curve of ratings to assign. It can be very deeply disappointing and de-motivating. If all did "5" level work, there has to be a 5.0, 4.5, 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 chosen from the five. I think this is just wrong! Perhaps they have changed it by now.

Overall things are great and you are constantly working to recruit the best and developing perks toward that aim. As noted, the review process needs to shift on an individual rating, me compared to my review and goals.

8788 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great company, great benefit

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Very good benefit. And the company does reward smart, hard working people.

Cons

The review system has forced curve. The organization is matrixed, meaning you will only work on a small piece of the pie. However, considering the scope of the company, I think that is innevitable.

The company has very structed management trainings, so most of the managers are ok. Leadership should focus more on strategy, so the stock price can be higher.

Getting better

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Salary, Work Life Balance

Cons

Managers are self consumed and motivated to undermine the effort you put in. Lot of politics.

Empower and respect Engineers. Have good check on the managers because they abuse their power and get in the way of development.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft