Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A great place to work, just abide to strong work-life balance boundaries . . .

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Too many to mention, great benefits, generous salaries, casual office work wear, great extra perks, concierge, ProClub, Stay Fit benefit, fantastic focus on upgrading cafeterias and new buildings are amazing. Free sparkling water. I was always incredibly content with my "deal". Exciting releases. but Enjoy the exhilaration of doing your very best work alongside incredible peers and indulge in some pure obsession. Pride! Oh, and access to the Library, the education benefits and just the internal training system is a giant perk to me and should be globally recognized by organizations that track such things. Kudos, Microsoft Librarians and Training Division.

Cons

STRESS. Know this going in - that you will need to put some energy in learning how to manage stress. If you can't convert it to excitement or use it healthily . . . maybe reconsider. This company hires the best of the best and they expect nothing but the best in return. You will make sacrifices. Your health might suffer if you don't buld in some exercise to burn off the cortisol.

I think the review process is a bit brutal. I'm not convinced the process is incredibly fair because the managers have to stack rank all folks in same job level, and if you ALL do a stellar job, there is a bell curve of ratings to assign. It can be very deeply disappointing and de-motivating. If all did "5" level work, there has to be a 5.0, 4.5, 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 chosen from the five. I think this is just wrong! Perhaps they have changed it by now.

Overall things are great and you are constantly working to recruit the best and developing perks toward that aim. As noted, the review process needs to shift on an individual rating, me compared to my review and goals.

9236 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great employer, but not a high-flying market leader

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, reasonable working hours, plenty of career growth opportunities.

Cons

Corporate culture dominated by lifetime employees and often has no bearing on reality.

Keep up the drastic change to become a cloud player. This will also change the corporate culture and put us back in a fighting position rather than a complacent market leader.

Breadth of opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

huge variety of stuff to work on, where else can you work on a desktop OS, then switch to a phone, console, productivity app or online service? stable company, good managers, empowered employees, transparent decision mechanism (at least in my group, this varies by division)

Cons

it is a big company, need to work on your visibility, just focusing on your base job is not enough. There is some politics between divisions or groups. The annual review system with the forced curve means that good employees in a strong team can get bad reviews.

get rid of the forced curve!

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft