15 years of planning and strategy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

there are great people to work with.
they give you good resources
there is decent pay incentives

Cons

Very competitive
A culture that you have to be seen...so have to be in the office
Not decision driven

Advice to Management

Your folks know what needs to be done. Let them go and do it.
Redo your bell curve to make sure to include cooperation and support.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Not great, not terrible...okay for now

Current Employee - Premier Support
    Current Employee - Premier Support

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary when comparing similar positions.

Healthcare is still good with new changes.

Can control your work/life balance with careful planning.

Great people to work with; product development teams always willing to help.

Cons

Review system needs a revamp. It is one big, every moving bell curve. You're rewarded based on management visibility vs. quality of work.

Reward system/ranking is completely subjective. You don't know where you stand until it is too late. Not rewarded for innovation or doing your job. Not enough objectivity.

People only worried about calibtraton and where they fall vs. what to do to make the company better!

Extremely political. You definitely need to know the right people to advance! Need to know the rules of the game to succeed.

Climbing the ladder is all about who you know and if they like you.

Advice to Management

Put in a better review system. Good people leaving based on being poorly ranked. Stack rankining employees will not lead to company success. Reward innovation!

Always put the customer first and listen vs. what you think the customer wants.

Rethink what makes a good leader. Hint: being female does not equal great leader!

2. A great place to work, just abide to strong work-life balance boundaries . . .

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Too many to mention, great benefits, generous salaries, casual office work wear, great extra perks, concierge, ProClub, Stay Fit benefit, fantastic focus on upgrading cafeterias and new buildings are amazing. Free sparkling water. I was always incredibly content with my "deal". Exciting releases. but Enjoy the exhilaration of doing your very best work alongside incredible peers and indulge in some pure obsession. Pride! Oh, and access to the Library, the education benefits and just the internal training system is a giant perk to me and should be globally recognized by organizations that track such things. Kudos, Microsoft Librarians and Training Division.

Cons

STRESS. Know this going in - that you will need to put some energy in learning how to manage stress. If you can't convert it to excitement or use it healthily . . . maybe reconsider. This company hires the best of the best and they expect nothing but the best in return. You will make sacrifices. Your health might suffer if you don't buld in some exercise to burn off the cortisol.

I think the review process is a bit brutal. I'm not convinced the process is incredibly fair because the managers have to stack rank all folks in same job level, and if you ALL do a stellar job, there is a bell curve of ratings to assign. It can be very deeply disappointing and de-motivating. If all did "5" level work, there has to be a 5.0, 4.5, 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 chosen from the five. I think this is just wrong! Perhaps they have changed it by now.

Advice to Management

Overall things are great and you are constantly working to recruit the best and developing perks toward that aim. As noted, the review process needs to shift on an individual rating, me compared to my review and goals.