Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft is still a great place to work, especially if you are looking for career growth!

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Issaquah, WA
Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The best reasons to work at Microsoft are that you get to work with a group of exceptionally talented and motivated people, you have almost limitless career growth, and you will always be working with the latest and greatest technology that is available. Senior management is very competent and will give you feedback on a regular basis that you can use for personal as well as professional development. The people you meet in the hallway usually seem happy to be there (minus the guys that are late to their meetings and coding on their laptops while trying to hit the right elevator buttons) and you can almost always strike up a good conversation with someone interesting at lunch (we're not all antisocial nerds, well at least not all the time =P)
If you are a fresher like myself, I have found the environment to be very nurturing yet at the same time there is plenty of challenge so you will feel proud of your work when you are done. At my previous company when management said I did a good job on a project I just shrugged it off, but when someone says you're doing a good job at Microsoft it is really something to be proud of!!

Cons

The downsides are that sometimes you will put in long hours if you are close to release in the software development lifecycle. Occasionally I hear about people having incompetent middle manager/leads which I believe is partly due to the "if you can code, you can manage" philosophy. If this happens be diplomatic about it, give feedback to your leads and senior managers and remember that sometimes they are still learning too. Also, as a downside to having high career growth you can be put in a situation where they will give you more responsibility than you asked for. This is great for experience but it can be stressful if you are not used to it. The way I see it, that is just part of the training and what is life without a little challenge anyway?

Theres a lot of back scratching going on in here! Also, morale events really do boost morale, lets have more of those =P

8788 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Come join the best company on earth!

Current Employee - Lead Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Career progress is very important
    Lots of manuverability

Cons

Compensation could be better (really)

Stock awards over three years is better than five

Only good for parents' bumper stickers "My child works for Microsoft"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft is this world's largest software development company, this looks good to future employeers. Employees receive discounts when purchasing normally overpriced software.

Cons

You have to pay for food and snacks. Not a comfortable work environment, they discourage peaceful and collaborative working. They do not promote based on quality of work instead they promote based on popularity and their review system. Hard work is NEVER rewarded here, instead employees are promoted when they do less work and leave early. At Microsoft, if one person in management, regardless of their direct connection to you, doesn't like you, your next review will be damaged. I've received only one 0.5% raise in nearly 5 years of service. Microsoft has horrible retention of long term employees. Management is free to ridicule employees. They 'claim' raises and promotions can happen any time but I have never seen anyone recieve a promotion or raise outside of once a year.

Pay attention to the survey feedback provided by employees, not just the management feedback. Attempt to correct salary and level mistakes as soon as possible. I have seen many highly talented people leave Microsoft after a couple years because Microsoft fails to appreciate employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft