ok.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Greate company to work for.

Cons

Cost of housing in Seattle area

Advice to Management

grow the company organicaly and build leaders from with

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Microsoft is a Great Place to be if You Love Technology

Current Employee - Product Management Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Product Management Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

First, Microsoft is a giant in the tech industry - everyone either works with or competes with Microsoft in some form. As such it is a great nexus to be in to be part of the sweeping changes in the industry. Microsoft may not always come out top (at first), but you will be part of the mobile transformation, online services, gaming, software as a service, voice over IP and more. That's a great feeling. Second, Microsoft is a large company where moves are pretty easy. I moved from Corporate Strategy, to Business Development, to Product Marketing in Consumer Online Services then to Product Management in Enterprise Servers. Next move will likely be a stint in the field, probably in Asia. The chance to get these experiences is awesome. Finally, Microsoft is over the "get rich on stock options days". People are a lot more sensible about base pay, bonus, stock awards, benefits as a whole package. You may not get filthy rich quickly at Microsoft, but you will have a much more stable and comfortable overall life.

Cons

Fisrt, Microsoft competes in so many areas, that it feels like we are always playing catch up to more nimble competitors. This can be disheartening and challenging at the same time, and it definitely takes a lot of energy to keep pushing. Second, Microsoft still has a lot of old guard in place at the top and it sometimes feels like "Ballmers old boys rule the roost". But, that is clearly changing as more outsiders are brought in at senior levels of the company. Third, Microsoft does best on big bets that require an amazing level of coordination between field, development, marketing, PR and so on. The doenside is that it can lose the entrepreneurial feel.

Advice to Management

Build a clear strategy rather than changing mind every two months. Focus focus focus.

Microsoft is still a great place to work, especially if you are looking for career growth!

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The best reasons to work at Microsoft are that you get to work with a group of exceptionally talented and motivated people, you have almost limitless career growth, and you will always be working with the latest and greatest technology that is available. Senior management is very competent and will give you feedback on a regular basis that you can use for personal as well as professional development. The people you meet in the hallway usually seem happy to be there (minus the guys that are late to their meetings and coding on their laptops while trying to hit the right elevator buttons) and you can almost always strike up a good conversation with someone interesting at lunch (we're not all antisocial nerds, well at least not all the time =P) If you are a fresher like myself, I have found the environment to be very nurturing yet at the same time there is plenty of challenge so you will feel proud of your work when you are done. At my previous company when management said I did a good job on a project I just shrugged it off, but when someone says you're doing a good job at Microsoft it is really something to be proud of!!

Cons

The downsides are that sometimes you will put in long hours if you are close to release in the software development lifecycle. Occasionally I hear about people having incompetent middle manager/leads which I believe is partly due to the "if you can code, you can manage" philosophy. If this happens be diplomatic about it, give feedback to your leads and senior managers and remember that sometimes they are still learning too. Also, as a downside to having high career growth you can be put in a situation where they will give you more responsibility than you asked for. This is great for experience but it can be stressful if you are not used to it. The way I see it, that is just part of the training and what is life without a little challenge anyway?

Advice to Management

Theres a lot of back scratching going on in here! Also, morale events really do boost morale, lets have more of those =P