Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Unlimited opportunities and endless challenge.

Current Employee - Human Resource Business Partner in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Human Resource Business Partner in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Incredible challenging work and the opportunity to have multiple careers over a long tenure at the company. People in all disciplines are incredibly strong and often the best in the business which means you are surrounded by minds that can constantly challenge and push you to your fullest potential. Not only is feedback appreciated, it is expected and leadership across the company is very thoughtful about how they respond and react to employees when providing suggestions for improving our business. Ultimately, you can have multiple careers and really follow your passion to find projects and work that constatly excited and challenge you - regardless of the role you are seeking.

Cons

It is a very fast moving environment so it can be a challegne to manage work life balance if you are not assertive. The company moves at the speed of the Internet and often times there is less infrastructure that most people from other large companies might expect. The good news is that means very little adminstrative bureaucracy, but can also mean there is more ambiguity than is comfortable for a lot of people. You have to be driven and constantly willing to learn, grow and take feedback. This can also mean that sometimes we recreate the wheel or don't take advantage of the experiences others have had.

Our management is strong. My only thought is that we tend to think technical excellence is an indicator of managerial excellence when often times the two don't go hand in hand or hit the pavement at the same time. We need to make sure we reward strong managment and strong technical leadership and provide opportunities for people who are strong in both. Sometimes the most successul technical individual contributor is not the best pick for an open manager role. Sometimes the best pick is the person who wants the role and has a focus on managment excellence versus technical excellence.

8984 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

MS: Great medical but no career path for admins!

Current Employee - Executive Business Administrator in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Business Administrator in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Benifits! They Rock! Love the medical!

Cons

lack of upward movement for admins

Create a better career path for admins!!!!!

Amazing Place to Learn and Grow Professionally

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Connections, Very very smart colleagues, opportunities to work in a variety of discipline over a quick period of time to learn other parts of the business. Resources and funding are outstanding and job security is very high.

Cons

Can be quite political since everyone is so qualified. Work hours are intense, and you can't really disconnect even when you're gone. Stigma attached to Microsoft can be a downside in certain areas.

Need to do more to keep young talent around. Young talent all bails within 3-5 years to pursue higher paying/higher ranking positions elsewhere. Microsoft should recognize this earlier and promote people faster.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft