There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Unlimited opportunities and endless challenge.

Current Employee - Human Resource Business Partner in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Human Resource Business Partner in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Incredible challenging work and the opportunity to have multiple careers over a long tenure at the company. People in all disciplines are incredibly strong and often the best in the business which means you are surrounded by minds that can constantly challenge and push you to your fullest potential. Not only is feedback appreciated, it is expected and leadership across the company is very thoughtful about how they respond and react to employees when providing suggestions for improving our business. Ultimately, you can have multiple careers and really follow your passion to find projects and work that constatly excited and challenge you - regardless of the role you are seeking.

Cons

It is a very fast moving environment so it can be a challegne to manage work life balance if you are not assertive. The company moves at the speed of the Internet and often times there is less infrastructure that most people from other large companies might expect. The good news is that means very little adminstrative bureaucracy, but can also mean there is more ambiguity than is comfortable for a lot of people. You have to be driven and constantly willing to learn, grow and take feedback. This can also mean that sometimes we recreate the wheel or don't take advantage of the experiences others have had.

Our management is strong. My only thought is that we tend to think technical excellence is an indicator of managerial excellence when often times the two don't go hand in hand or hit the pavement at the same time. We need to make sure we reward strong managment and strong technical leadership and provide opportunities for people who are strong in both. Sometimes the most successul technical individual contributor is not the best pick for an open manager role. Sometimes the best pick is the person who wants the role and has a focus on managment excellence versus technical excellence.

reviews filtered by

A happy Microsoftie

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The people. I have interviewed at more than 10 top tech companies and the openness and level of collaboration within Microsoft are second to none. The par is set pretty high for hiring and it shows. I have met and worked with some of the smartest and most talented people that I have ever experienced working at Microsoft. In addition to great peers, I have found that people in senior roles are always happy and willing to share with you their experiences and give advice when you ask, thus creating a very open and "warm" work environment. These things, in my opinion, create for a truly world-class work environment.

Cons

Microsoft is a huge company. Getting things changed is feels like it is nearly impossible. In addition, sometimes just finding the proper resource is difficult simply because of how large the company is. I often feel like Microsoft doesn't value or recognize talent as much as it used to and that seniority is the key to success within the company. This does not sit well with me since it seems like the key to job growth within the company is stamina and endurance rather than truly brilliant work. I was really hoping for more of a meritocracy within the company.

Look for talent within the company and look to some of the younger employees for that talent. I know a lot of younger employees who have left Microsoft simply because they didn't feel as though they were appreciated and on their way to bigger and better things.

2. MS: Great medical but no career path for admins!

Current Employee - Executive Business Administrator in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Business Administrator in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Benifits! They Rock! Love the medical!

Cons

lack of upward movement for admins

Create a better career path for admins!!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft