There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Digital advertising Account Manager

Former Employee - Digital Advertising Account Management in Irving, TX
Former Employee - Digital Advertising Account Management in Irving, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Great projects. Amazing benefits. $0.00 copay on doctor visits or any kind of medical procedures. Women get 6 weeks of maternity leave. Plus 3 weeks vacation. Digital advertising sales was awesome. MS had great sales support, excellent resources, and always had enough of a budget to do the things we needed to do, e.g., travel, entertain, business needs, etc. Every other company I worked for has had such tight budgets; it seems like I'm always struggling to get the help I need.

Cons

In the Dallas office, career advancement is limited because the majority of our operations were either out of New York or Redmond. If you're willing to move though, career advancement is nearly unlimited. MS is really good about not limiting you to functional silos. In their view, good talent is good talent and can be used in many different departments.

reviews filtered by

Work, work, work.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, most software is made here so its a playground.

Cons

Have fun competing against others that have no life and work 80+hrs a week. I never saw anyone outside of work, most developers worked like dogs and have few interests outside of work (in my opinion) besides mundane things like cooking and photography. Basically you move here, buy your base Toyota Corolla, rent an apartment and work work work, buy your house, work work work. Also, be prepared to play Survivor Redmond, build your alliances, etc.

Good benefits; very silo'ed MSFT work - great if you want to stay at MSFT forever, poor middle managers

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits - esp health, retirement, perks, etc
    Good educational opportunities
    Flexible hours
    PRIVATE OFFICE is a big one

Cons

Poor middle managers - myopic vision
    Ladder level secrecy and chase bogs down quality of work
    People only work hard alternate years because that is when you can get promotions
    No idea of what happens outside MSFT. Use their own products, get used to its weaknesses and forget that in the real world people don't accept such weaknesses

Cut out middle level managers
    Treat employees as adults
    Make ladders open and fair
    Don't make it so much about promotions and ladders
    Make it about the work
    PM and Dev fights in engineering teams are terrible and are bogging down your success
    Devs should not be designing user experiences and making the call on features. Hire more talented consumer-focused individuals.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft