Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

It is an awesome experience to work at Microsoft

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Creativity, Best folks, very talented

Cons

I don't see any cons working at Microsoft

8766 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Too political and lack of diversity

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, community, opportunity to learn new technologies. It is all about software and you work with really smart people. You have your own office.
    I am a woman and I like that Microsoft partners with women organizations.

Cons

Too political. If you want to have a career at Microsoft you need to have a sponsor. It doesn't matter how good you are at what you do and how intelligent you are. It doesn't matter your reputation outside. You need to build a reputation inside and always have one or more sponsors. It is also a very competitive environment and they privilege competitiveness over collaboration besides they say and "promote" the contrary. That can become very stressful because you have to work really hard and many of your peers will try to discredit you and that gets worse when the review period is closer.
    Microsoft also doesn't do a good job regarding diversity. I see it as a quite homogeneous ecosystem. In many of the groups (I won't say all because I only worked in a few) most of the employees are Indian males and the very few women are mostly Indian or Arabian and they are usually shy, don't speak up (maybe that explains why there are so few senior women). I am a woman coming from a more liberal culture and I really feel intimidated by this. Don't take me wrong, I don't have anything against any particular culture, it is just the lack of diversity that I don't like. I don't feel I have much in common with most of the people I work/worked with here.

Higher management: Seriously look outside! Stop looking on the snow white magic mirror!
    Middle management: If you'd only paid more attention to the ones who really do their job even when they don't tell you are the fairest of them all.

Good company with good pay and benefits

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall it is good to be part of Microsoft. They pay well, benefits are good. Bonus and stock options are also good.

Cons

Responsibility expectation is huge. Recently, they removed the no-cast medical benefits which make all of employees likely take a big cut in their take home salary. 401K match is only 50% where most of the big companies match 100%. Work-balance is always hard to maintain.

Increase the 401K match to 100 %.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft