There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great company to work at in terms of breadth of technologies - not so great in terms of strategic direction or GSD'

Former Employee - Group Product Manager in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Group Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

breadth of technology products / platforms to work on

Cons

Not too many real-world driven folks a the helm

Advice to Management

get rid of your middle mgmt - get the passion back.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Excellent production drive and qualified employees

Former Contractor - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Dependability, sustainability, broad set of technologies and platforms.

Cons

Release of new products seldomly proactive to market, versus competitors.

Advice to Management

Maintain vision based off business models.

Too political and lack of diversity

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, community, opportunity to learn new technologies. It is all about software and you work with really smart people. You have your own office. I am a woman and I like that Microsoft partners with women organizations.

Cons

Too political. If you want to have a career at Microsoft you need to have a sponsor. It doesn't matter how good you are at what you do and how intelligent you are. It doesn't matter your reputation outside. You need to build a reputation inside and always have one or more sponsors. It is also a very competitive environment and they privilege competitiveness over collaboration besides they say and "promote" the contrary. That can become very stressful because you have to work really hard and many of your peers will try to discredit you and that gets worse when the review period is closer. Microsoft also doesn't do a good job regarding diversity. I see it as a quite homogeneous ecosystem. In many of the groups (I won't say all because I only worked in a few) most of the employees are Indian males and the very few women are mostly Indian or Arabian and they are usually shy, don't speak up (maybe that explains why there are so few senior women). I am a woman coming from a more liberal culture and I really feel intimidated by this. Don't take me wrong, I don't have anything against any particular culture, it is just the lack of diversity that I don't like. I don't feel I have much in common with most of the people I work/worked with here.

Advice to Management

Higher management: Seriously look outside! Stop looking on the snow white magic mirror! Middle management: If you'd only paid more attention to the ones who really do their job even when they don't tell you are the fairest of them all.